• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Long Term Storage

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Long Term Storage

Post by Halcyon »

Due to the arrival of two new crew members in February we are considering hauling the boat and keeping it on the hard until the spring of 2013. Not having to worry about the boat or perhaps more importantly, not being tempted to use it, will make dealing with two infants easier.

Aside from normal winterization what, if anything, should I do and or look out for? Is there anything I should do for the electronics, the windlass, the radar antenna etc?

The boat will be shrink wrapped, is it a good idea to install a few solar vent fans?
I plan to remove all the cushions etc, and open hatches drawers and so forth to keep air circulating.

The boat is pretty low on fuel now. I have always left tanks full with stabilizer, but never for so long. Would empty be better and just keep an eye on the water seperators after recommissioning to deal with condensation?

I have also plugged the exhaust and intake to keep air out of the engines but it occurred to me that there is water/antifreeze in the mufflers and that moisture would be trapped in the "sealed" area. This could cause internat corrosion couln't it?

thanks, Trav
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Long Term Storage

Post by jcollins »

Trav,
I'm sure you will get some good response and helpful hints about the boat.

Congratulations on the new crew members.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

Hi Trav My best suggestion for long term storage is dont do it. Children adapt quite well to being aboard. You might have to change the way you do things, But bring the Kids let them grow up with the boat. You willl never regret it. Bob
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

I second bringing them.. Our kids have been on the boat since they were infants. Only you know your situation though.. So do what you need to do. If laying up I personally would drain the fuel and Tape a plastic bag over the fuel vent hose.You can pull the sending unit when ready to start and see how the fuel looks in the tank. Make sure the boat is supported well for such a long period of time. Leave all the windows and ports open so the gaskets don't crush, ventilate well. I use a boat heater/dehumidifier and damp-rid to keep it dry. Remember when you re-start it after such a long time to prime the oil pump( crank but don't let it start) Put it away with all fresh fluids also. Take the tension off the windlass, treat all the electrical connections you can get to. Keep some antifreeze in the head bowl so the gasket does not dry out.... Visit her a lot.
BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY...enjoy the babies!! congrats! If I think of anything else, I will post it.
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Post by Fortunate »

We brought both of our children on board when they were just a few months old, going as far as setting up a port crib in the cockpit so that they were contained. Dont put it away, use it.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
jrjr
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingman Marina MA

Post by jrjr »

Best sleep aid for my infant was going for a nice cruise. He would fall asleep immediately.

Return to “General Discussion”