• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

cored hulls

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

sunvale1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: grand haven, MI

cored hulls

Post by sunvale1 »

Can anyone from the group verify which year Albin started to place a core in their hull. I like to stay away from cored hulls if at all possible. Does a "90" hull come with a core.
Why is it so difficult to find out about anything regarding Albin boats.
Peter
Michigan
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: cored hulls

Post by RicM »

I depends on the boat, what model are you talking about? I believe all 28TE's have cored hulls, early boats were cored with balsa, later boats starting around 2002 I believe are foam. There's nothing wrong with a cored hull as long as the through hull fixtures including transducers are installed properly. There's a lot of hysteria created by one or two isolated horror stories in this business. I know a guy who bought a brand new from the factory Sea Ray 50 that started delaminating a few months after the 1 year warranty expired. He spent 3 years paying the note, and suing Sea Ray for a boat that he couldn't use.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Our '95 28TE has a core, at least below the waterline, of 5/8" to 3/4" tropical hardwood plywood - hard as aluminum - sandwiched between fiberglass having minimum thicknesses of 1/8" on the inside and 3/8" on the outside. I see nothing wrong with this.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Have had a number of boats with the cored hulls. My Luhrs I'm sure has the core covered with fiberglass both sides. Have never seen a problem with that sla as care is taken with doing holes in the bottom for intakes or depth finders. Would not hold me back if the boat were otherwise right. My Albin is all glasses but that is much younger than the 290 Luhrs 1990.
whwells 'Howard"
35TE Sportfisher/Conv. 2006
"Nibbles"

Return to “General Discussion”