• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bow thruster sticky

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jrjr
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingman Marina MA

bow thruster sticky

Post by jrjr »

During my sea trial recently, my bow thruster did the "run for a few seconds, bog and stop." i remember at the end of last season it was doing this. At the same time i learned through this incredible forum the turn to port forward and reverse pivot trick. Since then i hardly ever touch the bow thruster, if ever.

I assumed the thruster problem was a combo of barnicle growth and aging batteries. New bat's at the beginning of the season and lack of use, i forgot about the issue. So, when the surveyor instructed me to use bow thruster for extended period, and it bogged and stopped, i was kind of embarrassed.

Point of post: i searched the site and found plenty of info on here which eased my including a battery up front by the thruster. I was wondering if a sticky could be made with all the bow thruster questions were answered.

Thanks again for everyone's contributions to this priceless collection of info:-)

Sam
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: bow thruster sticky

Post by DougSea »

You've hit the secret sauce there Sam!

At this point, 5 or so years into John's little experiment for Albin owners we've hit a pretty good mass of data. A quick search will reveal all sorts of good information without the wait for someone responding to a post.

While I can understand the request for a "sticky" those are sort of limited in usefulness, since one man's problem area may mean nothing to another. We tend to reserve those for things like forum suggestions and the famous "How to dock a single screw" post. That said, I'll talk to John about how to best gather up some of our more universal info into a easy to find post. Your "bow thruster" collection is a great start!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
waterhound

Post by waterhound »

It was brushes on the motor, plus a cleaning of all the accumulated stuff on the armature. Works great now, albeit I try not to use it much. I bought Sam's ride.
jrjr
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingman Marina MA

Post by jrjr »

waterhound wrote:It was brushes on the motor, plus a cleaning of all the accumulated stuff on the armature. Works great now, albeit I try not to use it much. I bought Sam's ride.
Can't wait to see the awlgrip on Her!
waterhound

Post by waterhound »

Sam, I can't either. Working the details with KYC right now, but she should be ready for April. We'll need to raft up @ bassetts next summer and swap stories. I'm learning to driver her around/close maneuvers - I couldn't be happier.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”