• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anti-freeze

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Anti-freeze

Post by sweetwater »

Well...winterizing is going great o far, a lot of new stuff to learn. A question about the antifreeze (fresh water side). I remember at the Mac Boring school they said to use ethelyne glycol anti freeze. They said it should NOT be green. I purchased Prestone 50/50 ethelyne glycol extended life and put it in..... But its green. Is that what you guys are using? Thanks
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anti-freeze

Post by johnmurray »

Pink plumbing anti-freeze. It is widely used for RVs as well as boats and should be readily available in your area.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

Johnmurray,
Thanks for the response...but I should have been more specific. I meant the fresh water side of the engine. With the regular anti-freeze...Thanks
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Check your engine manufacture’s specifications. For a Yanmar, I believe that Shell Rotella ELC 50/50 is one of the brands that is acceptable and the color is orange. It is the same that is used normally in the engine cooling system. Older Yanmars may still use green coolant. If there was ever a switch to something other than green then you can not go back to green.

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Post by Old School »

johnmurray wrote:Pink plumbing anti-freeze. It is widely used for RVs as well as boats and should be readily available in your area.

He said the freshwater side...You don't want to use RV antifreeze on the freshwater side. RV antifreeze is OK on the raw water side.
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

All better, flushed out new green stuff and put in new orange prestone Dex Cool. lesson learned.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

And not all "pink stuff" is created equal. The less expensive hardware store stuff usually says "not for use in engines" So ok to use that in your domestic water system but spend the xtra couple dollars per gallon and get the engine approved stuff for the raw water side of the engine.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

We're talking "coolant" here.
Gets confusing with the term "anti-freeze".
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha

Return to “Albin Maintenance”