• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Manasquan Inlet

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Manasquan Inlet

Post by tbnolin »

My wife and I are going to be making a run down south the 1st week of November and I was wondering if I went into the Manasquan Inlet, could I make my way all the way down to Cape May and into the Delaware Bay? She's not real gun ho on running the outside for a very long period of time. :?
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Manasquan Inlet

Post by jleonard »

Yes you can. I have done that in my old Mainship. Skinny in a few places, so you'll need to pay good attention.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

tbnolin wrote:My wife and I are going to be making a run down south the 1st week of November and I was wondering if I went into the Manasquan Inlet, could I make my way all the way down to Cape May and into the Delaware Bay? She's not real gun ho on running the outside for a very long period of time. :?
If you cut into the C&D to the Chesapeake let us know. We'll meet up with you.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

I was just up to Benington,Arlington,and Manchester, Vt. Why are are you headed South, w/ the beauty that you have there. Have a good trip!!
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Thanks all for the replies. I can rest a little easier. The days are getting shorter and I don't want to get caught on the outside when it's getting dark. Not enough experience after sunset. Going down slow and easy...unless it gets too blasted cold too quick!!
John, we plan to do the C&D over to the Chesapeake. No idea the time line though. I'll try to keep in touch on the way down. I'll have my gmail address when we're traveling. Has anyone traveled down from the Hudson to the Bay? I'm kind of looking at some sort of time frame going about 10 knots.
Butch, I can't agree with you more. This is a part of Gods country up this way. My family is originally from northern Vt. which has more beauty yet. BUT, unfortunately the leaves are already changing and we've had a few mornings in the 30's and that just means another cold snowy winter is just around the corner. I've been here in Bennington 33 years working construction, never been laid off, which means working outdoors all winter. So my wife and I have decided to do something that we have been dreaming of for several years...and that's to head to Florida for the winter on our boat. The house is on the market and we are in the midst of packing things up. And hopefully be heading south by the first week of November. Can't wait!!!

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Have run it both ways and if the weather is fine (as in late July this year) it is a much better run outside leaving Cape May at around 10:30 am and arriving Kingston NY around 7:30 pm. Great weather. Have also run from Atl City to NYC inside where things are somewhat tight and shallow, In addition there can be congestion, floating weeds and in summer horrible mosquitoes.
I think the best thing to do is watch the weather and make a determination.
Have fun.
Don
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

We went through there two years ago coming from the Navasink River. Manasquan was our rough weather bail out but we ended up with a sweet day and ran all the way to Atlantic City. Then from Atlantic City to Cape May on the inside. Slow going. Lots of bridges, though this time of the year there should be no opening restrictions. Lots of no wake zones.

Very interesting scenery, dense urban areas with houses right on the water. I mean decks with boat lifts under them! further south, shallow bays with grassy shoal/islands. I hade no problems with 3' draft, 4 shouldnt be an issue either. Enjoy!

If you need any help mid-chesapake drop me a line.

Trav
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

You both are very helpful. Don, what was your average speed, do you remember? I don't have a problem running the outside if I have enough time. As far as the inside, it doesn't seem as though there should be weeds and bugs like there would be in the summer months. I think I would be leaving the Sandy Hook area when I do make my move down the coast. I have a 3 1/2 foot draft with an air draft of 16 1/2 feet with the canvas up. Any fixed bridges lower than that do you remember? I'm into the scenery which is also something to consider (I know the admiral certainly is!) The time changes the first weekend of November...I think. There fore it will be getting dark around 5:30ish. Lots of things to consider
Thanks again,
Tom

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

When we ran outside in July on a beautiful day with swells, as I recall we averaged around 22.5 knots. I was on a 38 foot Sabre ... a great boat. On the inside I am sure you are correct about the bugs being somewhat less than the summer months. Of course, the inside is slower, but clearly the way to go should the weather be foul. When I last traveled inside the only bridge I recall (and recall often) is the one at the Manasquan canal between the river and Barnegat Bay. That bridge has since been replaced and I do not know the current clearance.
Have an enjoyable trip.
Don
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Yearwood wrote:...When I last traveled inside the only bridge I recall (and recall often) is the one at the Manasquan canal between the river and Barnegat Bay. That bridge has since been replaced and I do not know the current clearance.
Sonny IV spent last winter at Carver Boat Sales on the Bay end of the canal. There are two lift bridges over the canal and we fit under them with plenty of room to spare. I'm guestimating that we're over 20' to the top of the antennas.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Tom, just saw your posts, I am near the Manaquan inlet and happy to provide you a slip at my house if you want a break. I expect to be out of the water then as I am having some cosmetic fiberglass work done so you can go right in where my 40 sits. The inside route is not great due to depth and no wake zones, in good weather I would go outside, but if in doubt staying in is better than dealing with Manasquan or especially Barnegat inlet on a rough day. You will not have any height issues to worry about. I will send you an email.
Craig
Jersey NSC 40
AlbinNSC40
Craig

Return to “General Discussion”