• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Propane tank

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Propane tank

Post by Panhdjoe »

We are in need of a new 5# propane tank for our family cruiser, My question is. Are there marine grade tanks our will the ones that are sold at a place like camping world be OK. I see the ones that are sold by defender are more expensive. Does any one know what the differencs would be?
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Porpane tank

Post by DougSea »

I took a quick look at the Defender page and there are clearly tanks which are intended for a sea-water environment. IMHO I would lean towards one of these over a "regular" steel tank. Do you keep it aboard at all times? Given the desire to have it in a vented compartment I'd think it would get wet and a regular tank would rust.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

I recently saw some fiberglass propane tanks at a Tru Value hardware store. They were more expensive than the steel ones but probably worth it for a marine application. They only had the 20# size used on most backyard grills but if you check their website you can probably determine the manufacturer. They may make smaller ones.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
elad

Post by elad »

I recently bought a fiberglass propane cylinder from Lite Cylinder Co. Converted a Honda 2000i to propane so I don't have to carry gas around. Both are working fine.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

So what's involved with that conversion and how is it working out?
(Sorry to change direction).
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

I had an aluminum propane tank on the cockpit of my last boat for 8 years, always in the salt water environment, and no problems. In fact, we are still using the same tank on the home grill. Expensive when bought, but well worth the extra money. How many steel tanks are around after12 years? We did have to invest in a converter for the valve....
elad

Post by elad »

jleonard,

Go to GeneratorSales.com They have the tri-fuel conversion kit and are extremely helpful folks.

I actually mounted the regulator onto the fiberglass propane tank so I could carry the generator around without the regulator etc. when I want to run gas only.

Conversion was not that hard though the space inside the generator cover was very cramped for what needs to be done. Instructions are clear.

Generator runs very well on propane and no adjustments other that switching on the gas supply valve to go back to gas. The regulator adjustment settings in the instructions did not work at first but the guy at GS told me to just make adjustments until the generator ran smoothly. It works great.

I bought the fiberglass tank for light weight as well as corrosion resistance.
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Elad

Did you install the tri-fuel demand regulator as well as the propane tank regulator on the propane tank? How long is the fuel supply line which comes with the kit? The prices look very reasonable for not having to carry gas aboard and they have various kits for different makes and models of generators…

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
elad

Post by elad »

Joe,

Yes, both regulators are on the tank. I bought a 3 ft fuel hose to go from the tri-fuel regulator to the generator.

Dale
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Propane tank

Post by Panhdjoe »

I just returned from a couple days at the boat, it turns out that my locker is designed for a #11 pound cylinder. I got a powder coated steel cylinder from the local West Marine. While I was at it I removed the locker did a complet reseal and ran a new vent line. The way the old vent line was aranged it alowed some salt water to get into the bottom of the propane locker. All should be well now. Thanks for the help. Joe
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Please note that some truly backward localities - like King County, the governing district surrounding Seattle, Washington - forbid the use of fiberglass propane tanks. Such tanks continue to be sold by businesses located within King County, apparently because they can still be used outside the county's jurisdiction and are very useful and profitable. Just don't let the local sheriff catch you with a fiberglass tank connected aboard your boat if such a condition is illegal in his jurisdiction.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Just found this thread. Have a contract on a FC27 and am starting on thinking about getting rid of the alcohol stove. Could you post a pic of your tank installation?

Thanks

Jay
JeffScott92
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston

Post by JeffScott92 »

Jay,
I just bought Kippy Girl from Panhdjoe a couple of weeks ago. Planning on going out this weekend. I will take some pictures and post.
Jeff
JeffScott92
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston

Post by JeffScott92 »

Pictures attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Thanks Jeff I appreciate the pics!

I don't know if I'll have room for that type of installation. The boat I'm buying has a 155 hp Isuzu and two D6 batteries; space in the engine compartment is pretty tight

Jay

Return to “Albin Maintenance”