• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AFTER MARKET MARINE GEN SET VS HONDA GEN SET

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

AFTER MARKET MARINE GEN SET VS HONDA GEN SET

Post by whwells »

Did a little reserach and there are only a couple posting regarding generaltor sets. Wondering if anyone has done the full installation of a marine generator. Considering the smaller Ohan 5.2 set as AC is not an issue for the NW aera. It looks like it may be too expensive for me after just buying the boat. Just maybe if and when the Luhrs sells the budget could be pushed again. If anyone has put in a complete unti would appreciate some costs experience discussions.
What seems more likely is a 1,000-2,000 Honda portable quite set & gas. Not excited about having it out in the way & gas fuel aboad.. However, the Zoadic will need a 2hp Honda so some gasoline is going to be on board anyway. Previously used an elec. trolling motor with the dingy, but hauliing the battery in & out and chargnging is a pain as well. The boat is equipped with a good size inverter system now and a third set of 6 volt batteries just for the inverter system. That may be adequate with a small Honda portable.
If any of you have been down this decision road, your thoughts will be appreciated. Anyone have a 2hp honda for the dingy they want to sell?
whwells "Howard"
1006 TE/Spotfiahwe/Conv.
"Nibbles"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: AFTER MARKET MARINE GEN SET VS HONDA GEN SET

Post by jcollins »

Howard,
I have, and others, a Honda 2000i. If I recall I paid 850.00 for one. The second I purchased on eBay for 700.00 (used) I use one on the boat and the other on our Airstream.

The newer models have a 30 amp plug built in. Be sure to ask for it. It's not standard.
When we are anchored I keep it on the swim platform. Very quiet and runs 5 hrs. on one gallon.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

John: Thank you. Probably the costs of a Honda 2000 is about 5% to 10% of a marine gen set. Given the inverter system on the boat and my already strained budget the portable unit looks like the way to go. Wondering if there are reconditioned Marine Onan 5.2 units that are affordable? Likely the labor costs would again exceed the portable unit. Thanks for the advise. The boat won't get to Vancouver, BC until later in the week, and then it will take several days to get it back together. Will have the winter to watch for sales and the best way to go.
whwells
Bilious

Post by Bilious »

Nibbles,
You might want to check into the light weight compact diesel gensets designed for smaller lboats. There's a good one sold by a Portland, Oregon firm by the name of Entec that might work for you. They have been around for years and have a good reputation for service and technical support. It's absulutely amazing; when you call them, a real live person in the technical department actually picks up the phone and says "Technical Support, how may I help you?" Amazing. I just don't know how they do it!
Good luck,
Bilious :)
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

the portable generator has some advantages that may be obvious, but just in case you missed one, here are some that came to mind:
There will be no through hull plumbing and maintenance.
It will not require winterization.
You can take it elsewhere when needed and just leave it home when you don't need it aboard.
It can be easily removed for oil changes and other maintenance.
You can sell it, if you like, without leaving all the installed gear that was required for the onboard genset.

Honda makes small generators, some of which are called generator-inverters. Look on line to see what benefit one of these units may have for you. The difference between these and other Honda generators (as well as with other brands) is the truer sine wave a.c. output. Other manufacturers offer inverter generators, so check them also, if you have the interest.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Entec West ... great company with, as mentioned, great support. Albin did use Entec as a supplier for gensets in the 28 and some earlier 31's and 35's. Their diesel unit is a 4.2 kw. I've had great luck with mine once I got the bugs out from the less than stellar install by Albin. I can run the AC, microwave, hot water tank and just about everthing at once. Nice little unit, but after approx. $ 9,000 grand in parts .... plan on about $ 4,500 in misc. accessories including install. http://entecwest.com/
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Here's how NOT to use your generator! Everyone in the anchorage gave this boat a wide berth, especially since the gas tank was sitting on the swim platform next to the generator and was not far from the cigarettes the cap'n kept lighting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Howard: We bought a Honda 2000 as backup to our solar sytem. I just hate it. We find it waaay too noisy for our liking. I'm just thankfull we dont have to use it much as our solar for the batteries and our propane tankless hot water heater suffice 95% of the time.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

kathylsails wrote:Here's how NOT to use your generator!....
Hmm, what brand boat is that? I just can't make out the name on the side :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote:
kathylsails wrote:Here's how NOT to use your generator!....
Hmm, what brand boat is that? I just can't make out the name on the side :wink:
Here we go..I wondered how long it would take for that brand name to come up. :lol:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

bccanucker: Roy: Since the boat has a strong inverter system & separate designated 6 vote batteries I thought about solar. However, with a soft top there is no obvious place for them. Probably will give it a try without a Honda gen set first. Might have to call you for a rescue and dead batteries. No it will be fine.
Could get a small get set just as safety backup. Lots of good advise here.

kathyisails: No problem. Don't smoke and won't allow any on my boat ever or near by. Stinks, quit in 1978 and there is nothing worse than a reformed smoker. Hate the stuff and around a boat plan is crazy.

whwells "Howard"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Bilious & Pitiou: My choice would be a perm. installation if the budget could handle. Sold most of my toys to get the 35TE so unless the Luhrs sells will have to save money for fuel, etc. However, nice to know the company is in Portland, Or. as I pass that way to the boat. Are these units quite? I know the Onan 5.2 has an enclosed sound box. How is the gen set noise handled by entec. Good service and phone support is everything. Pretty expensive by the time you buy the unit, the plumbing and installation. If anyone hears of a reconditioned complete for marine unit forsale let me know quick.
whwells "Howard"
"Nibbles"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Fairtide: Lots of good thoughts in your message. Yes, i have done some search on the Honda inverter unit (rather than the old style gen set) and also John pointed out need to get one with the 30 amp plug. So I am still leaning towards the costs savings, but should at least give the boats inverter/6 vote battery a chance. Formal owner was an engineer and he felt very strongly nothing more was needed - even after he had my money - pretty much all of it. Thank you all for the great advise. I am learning.
whwells "Howard"
normntwrk
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Great Bay Marina Portsmouth NH

Post by normntwrk »

Don't give up on the idea of solar, my brother has a soft top bimini on his sailboat and he made a frame that hugs the top of it and
62142803.jpg
62142803.jpg
mounted two big solar panels to that. All the hardware is available to do this by yourself, they have fittings that will clamp right to your present bimini ...just google stainless steel bimini hardware

Norm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Howard: Re solar and the soft top. That's where I have my 3 135Watt panels, on the soft top.
See down just a bit from the top
http://www.blueheron-albin.blogspot.com/

Re my comments on the Honda 2000. We had a club workparty today and I walked past one of the guys doing some work and he was using his Honda 2000. It was really quiet. He was running a router. So we changed it to be plugged into his boat to charge his batteries. With the load change, noisy, noisy, noisy, just like mine.

Also, I love doing rescues in BC waters 8)
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic

Return to “General Discussion”