• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Chesapeake Bay Storm Debris

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Chesapeake Bay Storm Debris

Post by loubennett »

I was Planning to go to Solomons this past weekend and cancelled. Didn't want to risk the debris from Irene and Lee. I'm now thinking of making the trip this weekend. If any of you have first hand knowledge of the amount of debris between Annapolis and Solomons I would appreciate the information. It will be a long trip if I have to go slow and dodge debris all the way.

Reports I have from the upper bay are pretty bad. My brother went from St. Michaels to Baltimore on Saturday and they were dodging debris the size of Buicks most of the way.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Chesapeake Bay Storm Debris

Post by jcollins »

Hi Lou,
Same for me. I was on my way to cruise around Pooles Island and Great Oaks yesterday and turned around. Way too much stuff floating out there. I saw what looked like a small branch sticking up. It turned out to be a whole tree floating just beneath the surface. Tomorrow we had planned to go to Harve De Grace. Since all this is originating from there, we are going to cancel.
It may be o.k. by the end of this week. But, since your headed south, you may still be in the middle of it.
By the way, did you ever find those "on the run" pictures?

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

We left Solomans Island last Friday (9/16) and headed south to Reedville. We started picking up debris near the mouth of the Pautuxent River, and would go through patches of junk, mostly small logs and branches. We were more on the western side of the bay, so maybe didn't see too much of the heavier areas as others did. We often had to put engines in neutral and just drift through some of the bad spots. With the heavy N / NE winds and waves Sunday and Monday, it may have been pushed much further south by now. When we left Reedville Monday morning (heading further south to Yorktown), we didn't see anything.
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Lou,
I've been checking the tidalfish website for some decent information. Report posted Sunday from a charter captain indicates a lot of debris around the West River. I'm on vacation in a week and a half and I was hoping to make a trip to Solomon's. I'm not going to chance it.
We're going up to Chestertown and St Michaels but not into the main stem. Be safe.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

I know you John ...You will be fishing underneath that debris all the way to Chestertown and St Michaels
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

It seems to be really hard to get good information on this. One article I found said the debris field was mostly clear in Maryland. It had reached Virginia waters. I'm not sure whether to trust that but first hand reports from boaters are mostly a week old now. Maybe the strategy for this weekend is to go North on the theory the debris has mostly cleared up there. I've only had Quest away from the dock once since Irene. Another non-boating weekend will not be good for my mental health. So the plan is to go somewhere. Hopefully a destination with minimal debris along the way.

John, I expect the debris will be gone before your vacation. Alot of water flushes the Bay in a week. After basically losing September to the storms, I'm intent on maximizing my time on Quest before the cold weather sets in. Keep me posted on your vacation plans and maybe we can meet up somewhere.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

A tugboat captain I know just went from Norfolk to Cape May. I asked him if the was much debris in the Chesapeake. His response:
Oh yeah. Whole trees in both bays, roofs, hot water heaters, etc. Made mulch of a tree we took thru the nozzle. The Upper Ches Bay has gotten better & the Delaware still has stuff but not as bad.
This was from Tuesday
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Just got some fresh information. A friend brought a boat from Newport to Annapolis and they arrived about 6 PM yesterday, 9/21. They encountered a large debris field about two miles North of the Bay Bridge. And another at the mouth of the Severn. The lower portion of Delaware bay was clear but alot of debris up toward the C&D Canal. The debris seems to be the worst at choke points and river entrances. So be cautious this weekend. I may try to see if I can get out of the Severn and stay South of the Bridge. I will go somewhere close so I can go slow all the way. I guess that means St. Michaels even though I've been there so many times this summer I think I'm eligible to vote. The mouth of Eastern Bay will probably be the next major debris area. Any recent reports on Eastern Bay and Miles River will be appreciated.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Lou, was at a B-day party in Easton last Sunday and was talking to several of the guys and they said there was still considerable debrie in the miles. Problem is some of it is going to be half submerged in the next few weeks. Its what you wont see that will get you! If you just take it easy and follow a bigger boat you should be fine. My season is over and I had to have the boat pulled this week. A buddy is going to help me winterize what I did not get done last weekend. I am having rotator cuff surgery on Tuesday, and the doc says I am done for the season. No fishing or hunting for me this fall!!!
Hope you have a safe trip.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Thanks for the report Carl. Sorry to here your season is ending so early. Good luck with the surgery.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

We crossed the Bay from Herring Bay to Eastern Bay yesterday (currently on the hook in Dividing Creek). I didn't see too much debris and only had to dodge a log once. I normally spend more time dodging crab traps.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

Carl,
I didn't know you were a pitcher in your younger days...Good luck w/ the surgery
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Rob & Sharon, thanks for the report. I just talked to the Dockmaster at St. Michaels Harbour Inn and he said no one is reporting large debris in Eastern Bay or Miles River. I still plan to go trawler speed all the way just in case. If you get to St. Michaels Saturday afternoon stop by for a beer. I'll be docked at Harbour Inn and frequently make it over to the Crab & Steak around Happy Hour.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

I made the trip to St. Michaels today. Left Annapolis about 10:15 am and went slow all the way. Happy to report the Bay has cleaned up significantly. I encountered a line of debris at the mouth of the Severn and a few patches on the way to Bloody Point. Eastern Bay and the Miles River were clear as far as I could see to either side of my course. Maybe more importantly, the water was back to its normal color. No longer brown.

An interesting observation is that alot of the debris I saw was cut into firewood length pieces. Both large and small. They were clearly sawn, not broken. I think alot of the debris was from trees that were knocked down by Irene, sawn into pieces, and washed into the Bay by Lee before they were removed.

I don't know how the rest of the Bay is, but based on what I observed next weekend should be mostly back to normal. Still keep a sharp lookout, but don't stay home.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Lou,
Thanks for the update. Our schedule is still un-made and will probably remain so until we get up Sat. morning. :D My favorite vacations always seem to be the ones I plan for least. I'll let you know when we know. We've been thinking Chestertown, St Micheals because of the debris but if things are looking better I'd may go further. There's a marina on the Little Chester we've been wanting to check out.
Butch, as for fishing, I found a spot this summer that I think is gonna be great this fall. We were catching 34" fish this summer :mrgreen:
It's a 10' hump on an oyster bar in the mouth of the Chester about the size of Volkswagen Bug and it's had good fish all year. The charter guys know it but it seems most others don't despite fishing nearby. I hope it holds for Fall.
johnfish7-11ax.jpg
Carl, if you just want to get out this Fall, you can drive and I'll fish. Ever think of fishing left handed? :D
I hope we see everyone this Fall on the water.
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP

Return to “General Discussion”