• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

HELP WITH COAST GUARD TITLE DOCUMENTATION

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

HELP WITH COAST GUARD TITLE DOCUMENTATION

Post by whwells »

Any actual expereince out there with original Coast Guard Doumentation? The boat as I have posted is a foregin boat coming from Canada. The local Providence does not issue title at least on all boats. I went through a Marine Title company for safery. What they issued is a Bill of Sale and a cancellaton of the former license. Have always regiserted my boats in State of Nev. for tax saving reasons. Nev. because it is from a Non Title State or Providence won't issue new title witout an inspectons by a Nevada authorized person - no exceptions. The boat is not comoing to Nevada. They suggest Doumented Titling and then they will honor that title without bringing to the state for inspection. Have looked up the CC Documentation procedure. Looks pretty complicated. This a 35 Albin. It must be 5 tons to be documented. it says most boats over 25' will satifity that requirement. Anyone out there with a documented boat 28, 31, or 35 TE series? Did you registered new with Albin Builders Certificate or after previous registeration. Since it is a Bill of Sale Canadian procedure ( seems like they a choice in some area of the country) will likely have to do Documentation like a new boat. Can anyone give me directions on where to start. I do see it is all done out of Virg. somewhere. Will the numbers then be vertifed by a local Coast Guard Inspectior? Holy Cow this is a nigjtmare. The boat is suppossed to ship this Tue finally. Have adquate papers to bring into the country just trying to firgure out how to get it documented.
ANY ADVISE? It is too late to jump overboard? It is now a must for how too document.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: HELP WITH COAST GUARD TITLE DOCUMENTATION

Post by DougSea »

Hi Howard,

Yes, an Albin 35 TE (and the 28 and the 31) are all big enough to be documented. It's a US built boat with a US HIN from a known builder so I can't see you having a problem.

First step would be to take a deep breath, calm yourself... :-)

Then call the USCG Documentation Center in West Virginia. You can get a real person on the phone and I've found them knowledgable and helpful. The website is here: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/

Sonny's III and IV are both documented. Both were documented after being registered, i.e.; not documented, by their prior owners. There are many companies out there that can assist. It's pretty common when a boat is being financed for the bank to require that it be documented as the USCG then records the mortgage.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Thanks Doug: I needed a calming effect. Nev. Dept of Wildlife where boats are registered were not at all flexible on this foreign vessel. No bank involved, although at the rate I am going it may yet happen. Nice to hear you can get a real person on the phone at USCG DOCUMENTAION CENTER. Most places you just get recording after recording. Will give it try in the AM Tue. Have already checked the web site, but is long and complicated. Plan to read some more tongiht. Hopefully, will then ask the right questions.

May call my Canadian title & escrow company and see if they do US Documentation. There was another boata of interests a while back in NY and the Marine title company there would take care of the registeration. Had forgotten that conservation. Buying in Canada had gotten much more difficult.

whwells" Howard'
2006 35TE SPORT FLYBRIDGE
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Howard,

Adding to Doug's reply. The Coast Guard's documentation site is a tad intimidating but isn't that bad once you read through it. Once you 'think' you know what forms and documentation to submit, call the center in WV (like Doug recommended) and they will confirm you have the correct paperwork. We bought our Albin 36 last year and it was already documented so our situation wasn't quite as complicated as yours. To make our boat 'legal', we registered it in Maryland until we were officially documented with the USCG. It took us months since there was a long backlog due to the Gulf oil spill -- hopefully they have caught up by now.

Rob
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I used this firm http://www.boatdoc.com/home.htm

They were top notch and for what they charged it was not worth my time...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Rob Crowra: Thank you for the reply. It is difficult for me to register locally because the boat may get used in muliptle states and fees are very different. The Documentation is not costly and would give me sometime to decide how best to proceed. Have in the past always registered my boats in State of Nevada. However, since it has never had US Reg. the want a local inspection by thier people only. I asked about substitute like Sheriff/ or Coast Guard after driving over yesterday. Answer was no exceptions. So plan B. They will once there is a documented title allow reg. there without an inspection. No good water ways to Reno. Once documented probably better to stay with that anyway for travel out of the US & into Canadian waters.
whwells
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

RobS: Your approach may be good for me. I can do the paper work, but my patience is really thin with all the problems I am having getting the boat even moving west. The dates keep getting pushed out and I am concerned about winter and need to have the boat to BC and made ready for boating down into the states.
Will look at your source.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

RobS: Your source has a west coast location in the Bay Area of Northern Calif. I will call and discuss the titllng with them. The papers out of Ontario include a Bill of Sale and a License cancellation & change to my name - but it is not a title state or providence and thus not what I usually expect. I did go through a BC Marine Escrow title company because some protections was needed. Still it is not the kind of papers we usually see. I spoke with Documentation US people in Virg. breifly this AM. Looks like it will be okay, just more hoops. Yes, time to have so one at least hold the hoop steady while I jump. Thank you all for replying.
whwells "Howard"
35TE Sportfisher/flybridge
"Nibbles"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Update: Spoke with the lady at Marine Titles (Canada)Ltd out of BC. She handled the escrow & will for an reasonable addition fee do the US Documentation. Given that it is an out of US purchase RobS advise on using a pro made lots of sense. Now hopefully, I can just deal with getting the boat out west and the flybridge back on from the height issue.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Documentation Back Log: Not that time is critical, but we did learn for pleasue boats they are just now woking on July applications. It iwllt take a while.
"Nibbles"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

whwells wrote:...they are just now woking on July applications. It iwllt take a while.
"Nibbles"
Seems right, mine took ~60 days
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “General Discussion”