• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Compton 33

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jasberk

Compton 33

Post by jasberk »

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Compton 33, manufactured by Terry Compton, former marine architect for Albin?
Drew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dataw Island, SC

Re: Compton 33

Post by Drew »

I have a friend that has one...it is for sale...posted on yachtworld. He represented them for a while. Send me a PM and I can put you in touch.
Mulligan Too
2004 Albin 28 TE
Dataw Island, SC
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Gorgeous boat, big money for a weekender though, well into the Grand Banks, Sabre realm. Met a couple from Falmouth last summer with one at Lake Tashmoo. Has below deck dingy storage!
DSCN1588.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

The one Ric saw at Tashmoo from Falmouth is located just a few hundred yards from me in Eel River West.
I admire her each times she slides on by........pretty boat.
Back in the early-mid 90's I had the opportunity to spend some time with Terry Compton, as my brother's Albin was being built. He ordered the first black hull, and the first transom door, and as a result we were spending time at the plant. He also attended several boat shows in the area when teaming up with Albin and Standish Boat Yard.

Obviously, Terry knew what he was doing when designing boats.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
jrjr
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Kingman Marina MA

Post by jrjr »

I wish i could find that guy in falmouth.

No reviews that i can find online. Really like everything i do know about this boat. Compton's reputation as a quality builder points me to this one.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

In the last 10 days, Falmouth has been one busy place due to Irene. Many boats were hauled in ane out, including ours. I rode by Obsession Marine, (Green Pond Yacht Club) on Menahaunt Rd, right at the Green Pond bridge, and the Compton 33 was up in the parking lot.
I haven't riden by since, but I'm sure if you called Obsession Marine, someone could tell the owner name. or have him call you, or some arrangement could be made.

The Compton 33 was just up from ours for the last several years. However, Falmouth Harbor added 29 new spaces with the new finger piers. I believe the Compton 33 found a new home at one of the new slips, right in front of the harbormaster's office next to the bulkhead.

He must have been on the "waiting list" for quite some time. According to the paper, even after adding the 29 new slips, the waiting list is still 150.

It should be the same boat. I doubt that there's two in Falmouth.
If given the opportunity, I'll find out who owns her.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
jrjr
Mate
Mate

Post by jrjr »

I will start snooping around. I know the green pond people pretty well. Thanks for your help.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Bob,

Don't know about the waiting lists there, but most that I have encountered here in RI are more "advisory" than compulsory. In my experience waiting lists are are where you stash the a$$holes to fill in the spaces between the regular guys who spend money in the ship's store, tip the dock hands well, and buy the marina manager a brew at the local tap. Cynical I know...
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Ric,
I know what you mean, however this is an exception.
Falmouth may have more harbors than any other town in the US, a total or 15 separate harbors!!!

Gregg Fraser, HarborMaster, is as tough as they come. Running 15 harbors.....he has to be. Strictly "by the book", and that is NO KIDDING! (Beleive me....he has a reputation)
Actually, the "by the book" aspect is OK with me. You know what you get.
If you are on a waiting list, it's published, and displayed in the office lobby, and updated regularly.

BTW Jasberk, checked as I fueled up yesterday. The Compton 33 is 50 yds. south of the Harbormasters office, right along the bulkhead.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RicM wrote:Bob,

Don't know about the waiting lists there, but most that I have encountered here in RI are more "advisory" than compulsory. In my experience waiting lists are are where you stash the a$$holes to fill in the spaces between the regular guys who spend money in the ship's store, tip the dock hands well, and buy the marina manager a brew at the local tap. Cynical I know...
I think you're also looking at the difference between the private and public marinas. As a "known entity" who winter stored my boat for several years, bought lots of stuff at the store and dropped off the semi-annual "offerings" to the service crew and manager I called about a slip and had one two days later. Yet there is apparently a waiting list.

Down in Greenwich CT where my friend has had a boat for years you get what Cape Codder is describing. A publicly posted and CLOSELY watched list. He went through all kinds of nonsense when he went up to a bigger boat.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jrjr
Mate
Mate

Post by jrjr »

Cape Codder wrote:Ric,
I know what you mean, however this is an exception.
Falmouth may have more harbors than any other town in the US, a total or 15 separate harbors!!!

Gregg Fraser, HarborMaster, is as tough as they come. Running 15 harbors.....he has to be. Strictly "by the book", and that is NO KIDDING! (Beleive me....he has a reputation)
Actually, the "by the book" aspect is OK with me. You know what you get.
If you are on a waiting list, it's published, and displayed in the office lobby, and updated regularly.

BTW Jasberk, checked as I fueled up yesterday. The Compton 33 is 50 yds. south of the Harbormasters office, right along the bulkhead.
Waiting lists in falmouth for slips is bad, but moorings are ridiculous.

I will try to get to the harbor tomorrow and leave my info on the compton...

Thanks!
jrjr
Mate
Mate

Post by jrjr »

Met the owner of the compton and he was more than gracious. He gave me a tour of the boat, told me all of his experiences, good and bad, way more good, nothing real bad...

I was so impressed, i made an offer and will be doing the sea trial on Friday.

The one thing that struck me most about the boat was its uncanny resemblance to the Albin's hull. Not much of a departure there.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

It was our 35th wedding anniversary this Columbus Day weekend, so we had planned to spend it with friends in Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard.
Saturday, late morning, we were heading toward Edgartown when a Compton 33 overtook us. We were doing 19 kts., but the Compton passed to our starboard, and must have been cruising around 25kts., or more. I believe it was the one out of Falmouth harbor.
We spent the entire weekend tied to the Mad Max dock. Although we buzzed about in our inflatable, we never got a chance to track the Complton owner down.
BTW, it was THE most beautiful weekend in memory!
WOW!
Even went swimming all three days!
What a way to wind down the season........it's almost over. :(
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
jrjr
Mate
Mate

Post by jrjr »

Cape Codder wrote:Saturday, late morning, we were heading toward Edgartown when a Compton 33 overtook us. We were doing 19 kts., but the Compton passed to our starboard, and must have been cruising around 25kts., or more. I believe it was the one out of Falmouth harboen
Sea trial went great. Everything went great. The generator has only 35 hours. Unreal. The speed was surprising with a 25 knot cruise. close to 30 knots @ wot. The cabin noise was relatively minimal.

Air conditioning on a boat is a great thing. Had some condensation on the windshield, turned on ac and it dried right out.

Closing hopefully next week and will make the trip from portland to buzzards bay soon after. Elated does not convey my state of mind right now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Sounds like congratulations are in order? That is a beautiful boat.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “General Discussion”