• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Irene

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Irene

Post by RockHall »

In the Eastern Shore of Maryland, Hurricane Isabel produced a storm surge peaking at 8 feet (2.4 m) on the Chesapeake Bay side in Hoopers Island and 6.5 feet (2 m) on the Atlantic coast in Ocean City.[12] The track of the hurricane to the west funneled into the bay and was so strong it negated the normal tide cycle in the bay. Tolchester Beach recorded a record-breaking high tide of 7.91 feet (2.4 m) above mean low water.[13] Rainfall in the Maryland portion of the Delmarva Peninsula reached 3.2 inches (81 mm) in Steeles Neck. The large circulation of the hurricane produced strong winds across the area, including :evil: maximum sustained winds of 52 mph (84 km/h) and a gust of 66 mph (106 km/h) in Cambridge.[12]

Looks like the predictions are for a surge of less than six feet. Isabel tracked to the west which seemed to produce higher surges.

http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/dat ... _surge.gif
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Marina called me last night recomending I move Mahalo out of her slip onto a mooring with a 400 lb mushroom to avoid the surge & any dock damage. I just have high hopes she dosnt drag that mushroom to far. Seems to me if I chose to haul & block the wind might just knock her off the jacks.. So my decision is to hook up on the mooring,,,,,,,,and Pray.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

zinbaad wrote:and Pray
Amen
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

zinbaad wrote:Seems to me if I chose to haul & block the wind might just knock her off the jacks.. So my decision is to hook up on the mooring
It’s certainly a toss up on whether to stay in or come out. There is no correct general answer, it certainly depends on your location and dock setup.

My slip is great for wind protection but not great when the tide surges. So I chose to come out. I am concerned about the wind pushing her off the blocks. I have angled the stands inward hoping they will dig in and hold off any side to side forces. I will strap them together under the hull too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

I'm having a hard time getting good storm surge preditions for the middle Chesapeake (West River). I have heard 1-2 ft and 3 to 6 ft. I guess the storm is just a bit too far away yet. A turn to the west could be Isabell all over again.

I'm wait listed to be hauled............

Trav
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I am concerned about the wind pushing her off the blocks. I have angled the stands inward hoping they will dig in and hold off any side to side forces. I will strap them together under the hull too.
You could always run some lines over the hull and use "tent stakes" to anchor the lines.
I don't mean those little plastic stakes rather something substantial like re-bar.

I am concerned about wind and surge in SE Ct, but all I can do is double tie, add fenders, etc. and hope for a reasonable adjuster if it comes to that. :wink:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Halcyon wrote:I'm having a hard time getting good storm surge preditions for the middle Chesapeake (West River). I have heard 1-2 ft and 3 to 6 ft.
Here's a rough idea

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... surge.html
at201109_surge.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

fairtide wrote:Are any of you planning to take your boats out to see how they handle in rough water? Don't forget to post some photos.
There is one in every crowd, inna? (Inna: Bermudaspeak for 'isn't that right?')
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Yesterday my marina owning friend in Knapps Narrows was still hauling boats till he ran out of boatstands.

Looked at forcast for Easton. Only a MAYBE for tropical storm force winds from the N. Annapolis, not even tropical storm force wind. Guess Baltimore will be even less.

Better info in another 18hours.

My 5th wheel trailer is a little E of Easton but inside a steel framed building so no worrys there. My truck was at Tilghman Island last I heard but it is likely being used to haul office stuff from the boatyard today.

My guess is that the Chesapeake will get off light on this one.

Anyone for fishing on or under the CBBT? No?
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

The good news is that north of Drum Point has been downgraded to tropical storm warnings.
38°20'26.17" N 76°29'42.76" W
So, in the Baltimore area we will be o.k. Certainly not to ignore, but the northeast will get hit.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Yea watching the forecast is like watching the stock market. Watch too closely and you drive yourself insane.
Was just out during lunch and one of my missions was to buy a roll of duct tape for whatever I need it for in my storm prep (chafe gear most likely). The Sears Hardware store was flooded (ha ha) with people buying flashlights and batteries. They were almost sold out.
Plenty of duct tape left though. I bought a roll of that and a roll of Gorilla tape...just in case I run into a gorrilla during the storm. Gotta be prepared for just about anything. :roll:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Did I hear correctly? Brooklyn, NY is evacuating? That would be a first.
Spent the afternoon aboard Afterglow. Bimini down, extra lines.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Shoreline areas like Coney Island yes, even sections of downtown Manhattan and coastal Queens and Long Island. My area is mandatory evac at 8am Sat.... Cops and Fire Dept are riding around tonite with loud speakers announcing the evac, kids are starting to get freaked! The big kids too!!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

Post by Ron222 »

For all us boaters that bemoan when we have to cross Block Island Sound in 4-5 ft seas. Here is NOAA's marine forecast for Sunday, OMG
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED WITH HURRICANE
CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. SE WINDS 45 TO 60 KT. GUSTS UP TO 65 KT...
INCREASING TO 75 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS AROUND 18 FT...
BUILDING TO 23 FT IN THE AFTERNOON. RAIN. A CHANCE OF TSTMS IN
THE MORNING. VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.
Ron
Paumanok, A34
Westbrook, CT
Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Post by Bluey »

Forecasts don't look too bad for Kent Narrows. 4' waves in Eastern Bay, couple feet of surge, 45mph winds. If that's all this is, then we were actually worse a couple weekends ago. I probably would've had Bluey hauled, but, well, a story for another time.

We went to the boat yesterday afternoon with the intention of staying the night after moving Bluey further out in the slip, away from the bulkhead, and more centered than normal. We wanted to stay the night to ensure the lines wouldn't slip. But when we got there, Bluey was the only one on our row except for a big trawler. Taped to the gunwale was a nice notice that the area was under mandatory evacuation for Saturday. So we added a couple spring lines, giving us 8 lines total. Two to keep her from moving in any direction other than up and down. I'd add more but I ran out of cleats. we put out finders on the sides, and left. The club office, membership chairman, and V/C have my phone numbers JIC. Being 75 miles from the club, I'm periodically watching the trafficland.com traffic cameras to see whatever I can see. Now we wait.

Someone remind me how much fun a boat is please.
Maurice the Boatless

Return to “General Discussion”