• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Irene

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

poillon1

Re: Irene

Post by poillon1 »

Sea Tow's carrier, Sea Insure under New Hampshire Insurance is covering short haul as long as it is a named storm. They sent a notice out to members the other day. They have a two claim policy over 5 years for cancellation and I don't know if this counts toward that, so be careful!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

That's good information about insurance reimbursement. Thanks for posting.

It should pass east of Ocean City. The only thing I'm worried about is the surge.

I'll be moving our Airstream off our land since it's only 1 ft above sea level. :roll:
Afterglow will be fine. I'm on a floating pier. (learned that after Isabel) Add a couple of lines to make me feel better, disconnect shore power, and I'm done. Join in the hurricane party.
Here is the latest forecast as of 2:00 PM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by jcollins on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spulling
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

John, I recall seeing pictures of floating piers going down the susquehanna with boats still tied to it :shock: . I too am only worried about the surge. Our marina still has one of the piers with a large hump in it from Isabelle, when it was under water and tried to float up. If nothing else I hope to get some wax on it :mrgreen:
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

poillon1 wrote:Sea Tow's carrier, Sea Insure under New Hampshire Insurance is covering short haul as long as it is a named storm. They sent a notice out to members the other day. They have a two claim policy over 5 years for cancellation and I don't know if this counts toward that, so be careful!
And then when you have to go apply for a new policy the app has the question "Have you been canceled or non-renewed in the last 5 years." Having to check yes is never good. Keep this in mind when filing smaller claims.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Carl wrote:John, I recall seeing pictures of floating piers going down the susquehanna with boats still tied to it :shock: . I too am only worried about the surge. Our marina still has one of the piers with a large hump in it from Isabelle, when it was under water and tried to float up. If nothing else I hope to get some wax on it :mrgreen:
My attitude is a little more concerned this morning as the forecast has it closer to shore. There is another front coming from the west that will hopefully have enough strength to push it offshore. I don't think this is one to take lightly.

Your right about those floating piers. We had a small one, we used for the dingy, that drifted away during Isabel.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My attitude is a little more concerned this morning as the forecast has it closer to shore. There is another front coming from the west that will hopefully have enough strength to push it offshore. I don't think this is one to take lightly.
Exactly. Up our way, the current prediction has the eyewall passing thru the Bridgeport area which means eastern Ct will get slammed. And I may get it bad at the house too as I live due N of Bridgeport.
If this path holds my plan is to do the double tie, add fenders, etc thing then drag my butt back home. Not much more one can do safely.
Insurance is paid.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:
poillon1 wrote:Sea Tow's carrier, Sea Insure under New Hampshire Insurance is covering short haul as long as it is a named storm. They sent a notice out to members the other day. They have a two claim policy over 5 years for cancellation and I don't know if this counts toward that, so be careful!
And then when you have to go apply for a new policy the app has the question "Have you been canceled or non-renewed in the last 5 years." Having to check yes is never good. Keep this in mind when filing smaller claims.
Is a short haul - which is touted as a coverage benefit, and subject to it's own occurrences and limits, really considered a "loss" for purposes of renewal? Clearly a reason to offer it is to reduce actual claims for major damage.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

John, This thing is huge and the predictions have moved it westerly even more this afternoon. If nothing else ask your marina when the cutoff time is for getting it pulled, and make your decision well before that. Anyone heard from Butch and John? By the way, the pictures of the floating piers had 20' plus boats still tied to it.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

We took down bimini, sunbrella covers from flybridge, added extra fenders and doubled lines, removed upper helm electronics. The Pilots Point yard manager is going to tie boat sterns and bows together to minimize swinging in slips. Cut back large branches that would have been beating on our roof at home. Now the waiting is the hardest part. Good luck to all in Irene's path - let us know what happens!

Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

Are any of you planning to take your boats out to see how they handle in rough water? Don't forget to post some photos.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Yup, I took mine out, out of the water..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RockHall »

jleonard wrote:Rock Hall, do you know the 41 Defever "Say Goodbye"? Ralph is a friend of mine.
He's actually taking his boat to Baltimore (Anchorage Marina) to tie down for the storm there. I guess all the boats there did well in Isabelle.
I don't know the boat. We are hauling our boat in rock hall. Hopefully the storm surge wont knock us off the blocks. If it does that our house may be underwater too. Flood insurance is paid up. Going to drive down Friday night to get things ready but will get out of dodge for the storm. Rock hall was under water after isabel.
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

This is going to be interesting :roll:
I took Transition to Haven Harbor last weekend to get some engine service done. Due for a number of checks and changes and with the low idle, figured I get it all done, ready for fall.
Was planning to take it home Sat morning but now I'm waiting to hear they have put her on the hard. I didn't call until this morning and I know there are quite a few ahead of me. If they can't get to me by early Sat then I'm heading out and back to my marina and getting ready before things get to snotty. I hate the idea of being on stands in 75mph winds. Don't trust the prediction enough to chance a storm surge.
Found a website that shows the surge prediction.
http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/Loops/SURG ... 6_HR.shtml
Upper Bay still showing +1' or less surge. As long as the track stays east, the eastern side of the bay shouldn't have much surge. In fact it will likely blow a lot of water out. Western shore should get all the eastern shore's water. Not so good on the west side.
Good luck everyone.
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Post by abellch »

Interesting hmmmmmm don't know about that :shock:

Hauled the boat today she will ride it out blocked inside the dry store building. Nothing left to do now but break out the rum.
RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RockHall »

Here is a video of rock hall when Isabel came through. Hopefully the storm surge won't be as bad this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF6S2PL1 ... ata_player
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD

Return to “General Discussion”