• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Prop

caseylynn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Prop

Post by caseylynn »

What diameter and pitch prop are you guys using on a 36 with a 120 Lehman with 2 to 1 gear reduction. Mine is billowing black smoke at WOT only making 1900 to 1950 rpm's. My guess is the boat is overproped. Thanks :?:
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Prop

Post by jleonard »

My 40 with 120 Lehman and a 2:1 gear ratio is using a 20 x 16 prop. I just get 2500 rpm. No smoke.
Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
caseylynn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by caseylynn »

Thanks for the info J. What kind of rpm do you use for cruising? My 36 seems to work good around 1650 to 1700 rpm that gives me about 7 to 7.5 knts with no smoke! The smoke only appears when at WOT still only 7 to 7.5 knts. Thanks
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I would suggest you calibrate your tachometer before you do anything else. 7.5 knots at 1650 seems fast to me like your tachs are off.
I cruise at 1750 and get 6.5 to 7 knots normally.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

caseylynn wrote:What diameter and pitch prop are you guys using on a 36 with a 120 Lehman with 2 to 1 gear reduction. Mine is billowing black smoke at WOT only making 1900 to 1950 rpm's. My guess is the boat is overproped. Thanks :?:
I know nothing about your setup other than what I read on this forum. But, how long has this been going on? A new condition or just something you have ignored? When you say billowing I envision a black cloud chasing you down the river. Is that what you see? Could this be caused by something else?

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
psneeld
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Avalon, NJ

Post by psneeld »

agree with jleonard...at 1700 I get around 6.5 knots from my 40 albin
Scott Neeld
Albin 40 Trawler
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

When you say billowing I envision a black cloud chasing you down the river. Is that what you see? Could this be caused by something else?
Black smoke is incompletely burned fuel. Can be caused by either too much fuel (as in overpropping) or not enough air (as in clogged air filter). There are some other causes but usually one of these two are the fault.
(If it were a turbocharged engine there could be other issues but we are talking naturally aspirated here)
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
caseylynn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by caseylynn »

The tach readings have been verified to be correct. The air filter and fuel filter are not restricted. J are you using a 3 0r 4 blade prop? Thanks.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

caseylynn wrote:The tach readings have been verified to be correct. The air filter and fuel filter are not restricted. J are you using a 3 0r 4 blade prop? Thanks.
4 blade and a 2:1 BorgWarner gear (which I think is actually 1.91:1).
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”