• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Help please with bilge pumps

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RogerandJoanne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Atlantic Highlands, NJ

Help please with bilge pumps

Post by RogerandJoanne »

Hi, I think I initially put this under General Discussion before I realized there is an Albin Maintenance forum - sorry - learning the website - Can anyone help us. We have a 2003 28 TE. The mid-bilge pump light on the panel comes on but I can't hear a pump running nor do I have any idea where to locate it. I just purchased this boat and am trying to familiarize myself with everything. The forward and aft-pumps have floats and work fine. I just can't find the mid-pump or float. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I also had a 1999 Albin with a blower and I cannot seem to locate one on this 2003 model, although there is a switch on the panel (that doesn't work). Thanks in advance for any assistance. Roger
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Help please with bilge pumps

Post by RobS »

On an engine box model the center pump is a remote mounted diaphram pump. Its mounted on the platform under the staboard helm aft of the water heater and next to the waste holding tank. Not sure if the sames goes for the FDeck models..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Roger,
Thanks for becoming a supporting member on your first post!
I have 3 switches as well. Rob pointed out the location of the mid pump. That's my bottom switch. The top switch is the forward pump. The middle switch on mine is connected to nothing. (although it does light up)
Blower - The first time I started my engine I asked where the blower switch is?? I was told "it's a diesel, you don't need one"
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jcollins wrote:Blower - The first time I started my engine I asked where the blower switch is?? I was told "it's a diesel, you don't need one"
Just as an aside - my 28 didn't have a blower but the 35 does. I use it when I shutdown on hot days to get some of the extra engine heat out from under the salon.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Tobermory
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Squamish, B.C., Canada

Post by Tobermory »

I have a 2004 flushdeck 28 and the mid pump is located immediately behind the house batteries under the large cockpit hatch. When sitting in the helm seat it is impossible to hear with or without the engine running but I have tested it at the dock with a hose and it works. It discharges through the starboard side through one of the three outlets at about the end of the cabin.
RogerandJoanne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RogerandJoanne »

Guys - thanks for the help - this is a great resource for us and I appreciate your help! Rog & Jo
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

On my 98 28 raised hatch, my mid-ship bilge pump was mounted underneath the battery shelf. They wired the automatic lead directly to the battery and the manual lead was cut. The pump was shot and I replaced the pump with an auto unit. I wired the auto wire directly to the battery and the manual lead to the blower toggle switch. I don't have a blower either.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bodega Bay, CA

Post by Rx-scape »

The Albins can have many configurations mine has 3 bilge pumps on panel all work, the stern is a electric conductivity switch, will some times not turn off until contacts are cleaned of salt, middle pump is on a shelf at the fuel tank, behind the engine, the front is on the shelf with a float switch, leaves the water in the bow as is mounted on the shelf. I have no idea how to work on the middle if needed with out pulling the engine.
I also have the manual pump a gusher which will pump a lot of water and have only used it when washing out the boat just to make sure it is working. I am going to run the hose forward to get to the water left in the bow and was suggested in another thread.

Lee Rx-Scape
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Rx-scape wrote:The Albins can have many configurations mine has 3 bilge pumps on panel all work, the stern is a electric conductivity switch, will some times not turn off until contacts are cleaned of salt, middle pump is on a shelf at the fuel tank, behind the engine, the front is on the shelf with a float switch, leaves the water in the bow as is mounted on the shelf. I have no idea how to work on the middle if needed with out pulling the engine. I also have the manual pump a gusher which will pump a lot of water and have only used it when washing out the boat just to make sure it is working. I am going to run the hose forward to get to the water left in the bow and was suggested in another thread.

Lee Rx-Scape
A similar discussion recently took place regarding replacing the dripless shaft seal. The same method holds true to maintain the pump strainer on the small shelf adhered in the bilge forward of the fuel tank. You need someone who is not afraid to crawl into small spaces and be sure to have a second person aboard to haul him out by his feet if necessary. I've found that I can get myself completely inside and under the starboard hatch if needed. (Engine Box Model)

I've been on a mission to replace the original black plastic corrugated bilge hoses with smooth xhd clear hose w/black helix and have done the one headed to this mid pump strainer ....
perko pump strainer.jpg

.... not easy, but doable. I found the strainer mounting board loose and in need of being rebedded, the strainer completely clogged with debris, which explains why this pump never discharged more than a dribble out of the thru-hull. The strainer is mounted simply with a zip tie around the bilge hose that accepts a screw for mounting to the shelf. The feet on the strainer needed to be bent back for the screen to slide out to remove all of the debris / crud. It's now pumping full steam!

Most things can be gotten to, it's just not very inviting. This is a project for a cool day! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RogerandJoanne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RogerandJoanne »

Thank you all so much for the information! We really appreciate it and were able to locate and fix the problem. Many thanks to all of you. Joanne

Return to “Albin Maintenance”