• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow Thruster Malfunction

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bow Thruster Malfunction

Post by rangoons »

Hello, This week end when I went to dock and use my bowthruster, as I moved the joystick, nothing happened. I had to try 3 or 4 times really putting presuure in the stick to make it turn on. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Rangoons
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Bow Thruster Malfunction

Post by DougSea »

rangoons wrote:Hello, This week end when I went to dock and use my bowthruster, as I moved the joystick, nothing happened. I had to try 3 or 4 times really putting presuure in the stick to make it turn on. Any suggestions?
Thanks
So if I'm reading this correctly the thruster DID work when you put a lot of pressure on the switch. And that would tell me you probably have a bad controller. Does it behave the same in both directions? Did you check the wiring on the back of the control? Certainly want to do that before buying a new controller. If it's not working to one side I'd suspect the wire on that side, if both then I'd be looking at the feed.

Do you have a Vetus?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

I have a Side Power. It did work in both directions but I had the same problem each side. The next day I used it and it seemed pretty much normal. I know things dont fix themselves but I thought I would check with the forum. I will take it off and check for looseness and corrosion.

thanks
Rangoons
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

As Doug said, it does seem to be a controller problem. Something with the contacts within the controller itself. I would think it's a sealed unit so not sure what kind of servicing you would be able to do it. Perhaps it can be opened up and cleaned?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
donpjr

Post by donpjr »

Hello,

I had a problem like this with the Sidepower controller. It worked intermittently but eventually completely failed. Replaced the controller and the new controller lasted one day and failed. A second new one was sent to me and it works fine after two years. Best way to test the controller is next time it is giving you trouble, remove the three wires from the back and manually activate the bow thruster in both directions (check the manual for which colors to connect). If it works fine with the wires manually connected then it confirms the problem is the controller and it needs to be replaced. There are no service possibilities according to what I was told.

Don
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

Thank you I'' try that. I saw the joystick was 350.00
Rangoons
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I too have a Side Power thruster on my A27FC.

IMTRA Marine Products is the US distributor for these and they have an excellent tech support dept.

There are four troubleshooting guides you can download from their site:

The "IP" is for ignition protected thruster - not usually applicable to a diesel boat.
http://www.imtra.com/downloadTypes/SP_T ... ide_IP.pdf

The "Pre IPC - 4 wire" is an older thruster - 1999 to 2005.
http://www.imtra.com/downloadTypes/SP_T ... 4-wire.pdf

"AMS" is a thruster with an Automatic Main Switch.
http://www.imtra.com/downloadTypes/SP_T ... th_AMS.pdf

"IPC" is the latest version - post 2005.
http://www.imtra.com/downloadTypes/SP_T ... th_IPC.pdf

Mine was actually a Pre-IPC that was later converted to IPC, so I had to follow the newer guide.

Figure out which version you have and just follow through and you should be able to determine if your joystick is at fault or not.

FWIW - The previous owner had replaced my joystick control, but I later had to replace my solenoid. The troubleshooting guide was invaluable.

Imtra is also located in Bedford, MA. - Looks like your neck of the woods.

- Jon B.
hetek
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “Albin Maintenance”