• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6lp stalling

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

Yanmar 6lp stalling

Post by LillianpFD »

I have a 2003 Yanmar Albin 28 FD that has been stalling when the rpm's drop below 1400 or so...well above normal idle. Also have to open the throttle up to get engine to start. Replaced both fuel filters, diesel gas looks like there is no water. tried an additive. Maintenance guy is pointing toward the injector pump. Experts will have it next week to really look at it. Anyone else have similar issues? This board has been great for info and help. THX.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Yanmar 6lp stalling

Post by jcollins »

Anyone? Rob, Doug, Chief?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I had some stalling issues a couple of months back on my 1999 Albin with Yanmar 6LPSTE engine. It wound up being the relay that controls the fuel cutt off selenoid. I also had startng issues because of this. Worth a look. Once replaced no issues.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by LillianpFD »

Thanks, should have a yanmar guy on it this week. I'll let you know the results.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I don't have a Yanmar, but would like to know if there is a way on these engines to manually operate the fuel solenoid for failures like this?
I know how to do it on a P-pumped Cummins, it's easy. Takes a couple of seconds and you can keep it engaged with a wire tywrap, then cut the tywrap to shut it down.
Just wondering if there is a way with Yanmar.
Thanks
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

On a Yanmar 6LPSTE the only way would be to hot wire it. It's all enclosed in the fuel injector housing from what I can see.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Is it a sputtering or coughing and then she stalls, or is it a quick stall, like you shut her down purposely? And then it appears she starts right back up as long as you move the throttle forward?

The fuel shutoff solenoid is energized when running the engine. When you hold in the STOP button it isolates the voltage to the solenoid that shuts off the fuel supply and thus shuts down the engine. Some panels are wired with the STOP button wired into the ignition key so that the turning off of the key de-energizes the solenoid as well. The 6LP's do not have a manual bypass of the fuel shutoff solenoid.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by LillianpFD »

If the engine revs drop below 1000, she shuts right down like I am shutting her off. She will only start if i have the throttle well opened up in neutral. something else i noticed is that she will idle ok around 1100 and then after a few minutes will start revving on it's own. Hopefully the outcome will be soon. I'm pretty confident the mechanic that will look at it,(dropped it off today) will figure it out.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

A friend at my dock had very similar symptoms with his Yanmar (not sure of the exact model) and it ended up being corrosion in the injection pump.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by LillianpFD »

Well I finally got my boat running again last week. Mechanic narrowed the stalling issue to the fuel injector pump. The pump was removed, bench tested and failed similar to how the engine was stalling. Pump was taken apart and 1 of 4 magnets in the pump was defective. Magnets replaced, pump retested and reinstalled and the Yanmar is running as smooth as Day 1. I believe this is a very rare failure. i guess i just got dealt a bad hand this summer. Hopefully we'll get some fall weather fishing in. thanks for the help.
Last edited by LillianpFD on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Glad it's resolved and thank you for posting the outcome.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”