• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hatches

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Casco Bay
Mate
Mate

Hatches

Post by Casco Bay »

I have lost a hatch on an Albin 28 TE Engine box model (starboard mid ship) is there anywhere to buy a replacement?
Last edited by Casco Bay on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Hatches

Post by DougSea »

Hi Casco Bay,

I moved your post here, it really didn't belong in the NE Rendezvous, plus you were limiting your audience. I WOULD have moved this to the appropriate "model" forum...but you don't say which fine Albin you have!

So...which model do you have? While it's a near certainty that you cannot buy a replacement from Albin or any other off-the-shelf source there's likely to be someone on the forum who has had one made. Give us some details and we'll try to help!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Casco Bay
Mate
Mate

Post by Casco Bay »

I tried to update hope i got it right. I have the 28te engine box. Thanks for the help
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

could you be referencing the ports? (windows)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Casco Bay wrote:I tried to update hope i got it right. I have the 28te engine box. Thanks for the help
You did the update correctly, but as Special K asks - do you mean the in deck hatch or the port in the head?

The ports can be replaced - but we'd need to know if you have plastic or stainless. If it's the deckbox lid you're looking for then you'd have to do a repair or build a new one. I made new deck hatches for my 28, if that's what you need I can link the post where I describe the process.

Let us know!
Doug
Sonny IV
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave »

I would like to see the process for building new hatches as well, the deck hatches on my 27 are getting pretty worn out and one is scary to walk on. Any information on ports would be appreciated as well, mine are plastic.
Casco Bay
Mate
Mate

Post by Casco Bay »

These are the deck hatches in an Albin 28TE. There is a gutter drain around the edge to collect water. It is large and not a port light. It is fiberglass and has hinges on one side.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Hi Dave and Casco Bay,

Here's the post where I describe the process I followed:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4491&p=26443#p26443

It's a simple project once you get used to working with West System, which, in my opinion, is WAY easier than most people think.

I probably spent more time trying to find a paint that I thought would look "right" than anything else. Are they as light as the originals? Probably not. But they are WAY, WAY lighter than the water-logged mess that mine had turned into.

The one thing I would think to add would be either a small bead of caulk or a routed channel around the underside so that water which "sticks" to the underside when you're washing down the deck would have a lip to release from.

I haven't found any pictures on my "boating" camera, perhaps I have some on my other one. I'll look tonight.

Any questions - just fire away! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
ALBIN
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SC

Post by ALBIN »

Any pictures?
Need to fix the hatches on my 28 but mine are flat with a 2 in lip that keeps water in a channel to drain out of boat.

Are yours you built flat underneath or do they have a lip as well?

Return to “Albin Maintenance”