• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

3126B in express trawler- bay area -no start

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

krc
Mate
Mate

3126B in express trawler- bay area -no start

Post by krc »

Hi - I have a 3126B single in an express trawler, and it doesn't seem to want to start up. Batteries appear to be fine, 2004 year boat - cranking seems good but just no start up. Fuel lines/filters, manually primed, etc.. have been checked, but since this is electronic controlled there could be other issues... Any ideas? HEUI pump? ECU/ECM? Are there any service manuals for these engines I can buy?

Also - does anyone know of a good CAT mechanic in the bay area that I might be able to bring in and diagnose?

Thanks everyone...

Karl
LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

Re: 3126B in express trawler- bay area -no start

Post by LillianpFD »

kinda seems similar symptoms to my '03 Yanmar that i just posted about. does it start when you open the throttle? (In neutral of course)
krc
Mate
Mate

Post by krc »

I think it is locked out electronically, i.e. no start unless in neutral from the main control head.
It seems that there is no fuel solenoid activated by the key turn as is otherwise common - the ECU controls the flow (at least that is what I have read on other boards).

K
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

If my electronically controlled Volvos aren't in neutral they won't crank at all. I realize this isn't your problem but the point is that if the system isn't going to let the engine start it doesn't make sense to let it crank. If there are any other problems an error code pops up.

Have you joined BoatDiesel? You can probably find an answer there.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
krc
Mate
Mate

Post by krc »

Agreed - not wasting time let it just crank, plus not good for bat. etc... Just tried to start after checking out fuel system and to monitor voltage drop during cranking. Yeah - am member of boatdiesel already but I know there are some albins out here with the same 3126B Cat engine.

Plus - I think there are some bay area albin owners who may know a good cat mechanic.

Karl
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

The IAP sensor can cause this. The ECM uses this to monitor the high pressure oil manifold injection actuation pressure. Unplugging this sensor will cause the ECM to assume a default pressure and allow the engine to start.
krc
Mate
Mate

Post by krc »

RTGCWHITE was correct. It was the IAP sensor - and once it is unpluged the engine starts right up. Mechanic replaced and seems good now. Thanks a lot - guess you must be familiar with these engines. thanks again......

Karl

Return to “Albin Maintenance”