• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hydraulic Steering

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jerseyalbin

Hydraulic Steering

Post by jerseyalbin »

While I was out his weekend on my Albin NSC 40, the steering on the Flybridge became very stiff. Controllable but stiff to turn at speed, at slow speed it was fine and the lower helm was not affected it worked well at speed and idle. First thing I thought of was fluid and went after the fill plug on upper helm and could not get it open. There were no leaks at upper or lower helm or in the aft area where rudder posts are, etc.
It is a Teleflex helm that has an adjustment for the number of turns to increase or decrease,( is a wheel under the wheel that rotates) found that the upper was closer to 6 and lower almost 8, lock to lock. Think this was due to a 7 year old grandson on boat? Not sure if this could do any thing funky?
I adjusted so they were the same and did a bunch of turns lock to lock at the dock which was uneventful.
Is this the symptoms typically for a new pump? Have not had chance to run it since I tried my black magic.
Appreciate any thoughts,
Thanks Craig
Albin NSC 40
yhc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, AK

Re: Hydraulic Steering

Post by yhc »

jerseyalbin,

When my steering fluid level was low it was noticeably difficult/not as smooth to turn the wheel as well. There could be a leak where you may not be able to visually inspect though mine had an obvious yet slow leak at one of the connectors. The fill plug in upper helm on my boat also took some convincing to loosen it up. In fact I had to crawl under the upper helm station to get a better angle at it. I filled from the main station first then the upper helm. There was an instruction sheet from Teleflex Marine RobS had posted on my question re: steering fluid earlier this month. You might want to refer to it if you decide to tackle it.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Having the upper and lower adjusted to a different number of turns should not affect the "other" wheel. The gizmo behind the wheel is actually a hydralic pump and when you are turning the wheel you are displacing oil.
Obviously the higher number of turns will result in a lower turning effort because you are changing the volume of the oil flow. Higher voilume = less number of turns = higher effort. Although you may not be able to actually feel the difference.
I have mine adjusted for 3 1/4 turns lock to lock and it takes very little effort.
By the way the helm I have is called Teleflex Capilano. It has the lower adjusting knob that you described.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Thanks guys that is the same Teleflex model I have also, I think I will fight with the fill plug, maybe get a little penetrating oil soaking on it for a day before I crawl in there an crank it. I think I will adjust the ratio down as you have done when I get this solved.
Appreciate the help!
Jersey Albin
MeyrickP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stamford CT

Post by MeyrickP »

Can some nice albin 28 TE 1997 engine box owner please tell me where and how to add steering fluid? I am having horrible difficulty with maneuvering at slow speeds an think I must be out of hydraulic oil. What is a good product to use?

Thanks in advance
Meyrick Payne
Albin 32+2
"Ancora"
Stamford, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

MeyrickP wrote:Can some nice albin 28 TE 1997 engine box owner please tell me where and how to add steering fluid? I am having horrible difficulty with maneuvering at slow speeds an think I must be out of hydraulic oil. What is a good product to use?

Thanks in advance
There is a fill port, small knurled knob, on top of the helm. Remove that and top off with SeaStar fluid, available at West Marine. You need to move the wheel back and forth to work out any air.

Based on your prior posts I'm not certain this is in fact your problem - did you ever validate rudder movement?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”