• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Turbocharger rebuild kit

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bigsteve51
Gold Member
Gold Member

Turbocharger rebuild kit

Post by Bigsteve51 »

Does anyone know a good source to purchase a Turbocharger rebuild kit. Cummins Part Number 3802148.

Just found my turbo seized this morning and need to get it rebuilt, i can do it myself if i can find the kit.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Turbocharger rebuild kit

Post by RobS »

Try Seaboard Marine, the home of boatdiesel.com: http://www.sbmar.com
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Bigsteve51 wrote: Just found my turbo seized this morning ...
Hi Big Steve,

Are you sure it's seized? Have you been using the boat? I only ask because I've had instances of turbos "sticking", usually at the start of the season. Once "unstuck", usually by some rapping on the case and some turning of the impeller if you can reach it, they've gone the rest of the season with no issues.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Bigsteve51
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bigsteve51 »

DougSea wrote:
Bigsteve51 wrote: Just found my turbo seized this morning ...
Hi Big Steve,

Are you sure it's seized? Have you been using the boat? I only ask because I've had instances of turbos "sticking", usually at the start of the season. Once "unstuck", usually by some rapping on the case and some turning of the impeller if you can reach it, they've gone the rest of the season with no issues.
Going back down to boat today with some tools and see if i can free it. If not found the rebuild kit for around $50 which is not bad at all...
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

You can get a Holset tubo rebuild kit from just about any big truck parts store. Around my area I use "Fleet Pride Truck Parts". There are several stores in the Ct area.
Rebuilding a turbo is easy. I have done several. The ones with replaceable center cartridges are even easier I have been told.

Hopefully you have disconnected the oil feed hose and liberally primed the turbo bearing with engine oil then try to free it up.
If it is seized due to salt water corrosion then you should not use the boat until you solve the intrusion problem. You can disconnect the exhaust elbow and look inside the exhaust housing for corrosion. If you have corrosion there and run the engine you could suck salt water back into the engine and kapow.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”