• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine Control Cable - Albin 31TE, Cummins 450

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

lawrento
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

Engine Control Cable - Albin 31TE, Cummins 450

Post by lawrento »

Hello AlbinOwners,
Wish to learn ...
How do You tell Its time to change the Engine Control cable.
Mine is a Single Control dual function type Engine control system....
I've encounter about 20 deg. slack before engaging the forward gear and there's a low engine oil alarm come on before gear engaged.
Hope to hear from You.
Cheers !
Lawrento
Best Bet 3
Albin 31TE
RSYC
Singapore
civitas
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Burgess, VA

Re: Engine Control Cable - Albin 31TE, Cummins 450

Post by civitas »

...and to follow the post above, does anyone have information on a supplier for single lever
engine controls. The Albin owners' manual has nothing. We have a Albin 28TE with Yanmar
315hp engine. Control cable froze while running at 21kts and 3500rpm... exciting. Boat yard does not want to remove the existing cable without the correct replacement to pull through. Have asked Albin Marine for help -- no help.
Doug Longmire

Post by Doug Longmire »

I sent your inquiry to someone I know who deals directly with Albin. Hopefully they can help.

Doug
civitas
Swabby
Swabby

Post by civitas »

I'll reply to one of my own posts RE: 28TE /Yanmar 315hp throttle cable that got stuck open and needs to be replaced. After some help from Albin Owners Group, and frustration with the new builders of Albin who say they don't have any of the old boat records, I contacted Teleflex, who were most helpful. They told me to get a mirror and flashlight and look for tiny white writing on the cables. The mirror and flashlight were clumsy so I brought out a seldom used General American bore scope. Bingo, there were the numbers. The scope will even take a still or video for me. A email to Teleflex and a quick reply told me that the numbers were old and have been replaced by new company numbers, but they recommended a better grade of cable and headed me to a distributor. The cable is 17 ft long! I decided to replace both the throttle and shift cable -- $38 each plus UPS. While probing, I found "Teleflex USA 10" written in pencil near the cable run. I have no idea what that means. Hope to have the new cables installed by the weekend.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

civitas, Thanks for posting the outcome. Can you post the numers you had found on your existing cables as well as the new part numbers from Teleflex. This will certainly be helpful for future reference. Thanks again and glad it worked out for you with little pain and suffering :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
civitas
Swabby
Swabby

Post by civitas »

Moderator asked that I share part numbers for both the throttle and transmission cables for a 2003 Albin 28TE with Yanmar 315hp 6lp engine. The numbers on both cables were identical CC17217 TELEFLEX USA. The Teleflex customer rep replied "The CC17217 was our part number to the standard 33C control cable. The direct replacement is CC23017 the Best cable you can buy is CCX63317." By the way, the "17" at the end of the part number indicates that the cable is 17 ft long!. I ordered the "Best cable" from
Jamestown Distributors in RI, with only moderate service satisfaction. I ordered from them based on their indication that the part was in stock -- I could have bought it cheaper elsewhere. Time was more important than cost. After all of the online payment information was posted and I received an order confirmation, their form indicated that the cables were on back order. I complained. By the next day the parts were being shipped. Now to see about installing them.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”