• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mechanical mysteries

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Scandia
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Larchmont, NY

Mechanical mysteries

Post by Scandia »

I am a new Albin owner, 2005 28 TE with Yanmar 315, and am having some issues my mechanic can't solve or explain to me........need some feedback.

I have been running engine at around 3200 rpm with no issues. Last weekend on a longer trip started to run at 3500 to 3600 rpm and grey smoke started to billow out of exhaust. Powered down to 2500 and smoke dissipated but didn't go away. Mechanic says this is normal....doesn't sound right to me......any thoughts?

There also seems to be an issue with the coolant reserve tank. We keep filling and it seems to empty somewhere undetected. Tests iindicate coolant level in engine is fine.

During trip last weekend when these issues occurred, temperature gauge stayed at 180 and oil pressure at 75, no sign of problem other than the grey smoke billowing from exhaust.

Would appreciate any helpful thoughts so I can direct mechanic to solve mysteries.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mechanical mysteries

Post by Yearwood »

The combination of smoke and loss of coolant in the tank would seem to suggest some connection between the cooling system and the combustion system allowing coolant into the combustion process. It seems to me that a pressure test of the cooing system wold be in order.
Don

Return to “Albin Maintenance”