• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

smokey shakedown

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Re: smokey shakedown

Post by special k »

J, i'll look for you there while dinking around the salt pond. i should be on the hook ne side of pond or possibly involved with a large raft
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

If I am there I will either be on a private mooring which is just off the main channel opposite the turn into the Boat Basin, OR anchored up with this guy
Madeleine and AA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Just got back from a dinghy ride...went past Special K. Now I know where you live :wink:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Scandia
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Larchmont, NY

Post by Scandia »

I am a new Albin Owner and have been running my 2005 28TE with a Yanmar 315 at around 3200 RPM's with no issues. Last weekend on a longer trip I started to run at 3500 to 3600 RPM's and grey smoke started to billow out of exhaust. Powered down to 2500 RPM's and smoke decreased significantly. My mechanic has indicated this is "normal" for this boat and engine??? Can anyone give me some insight on this? Also, the reserve coolant tank seems to always be empty no matter how much coolant we put in; there seems to be plenty in the engine but none in the reserve tank.....any thoughts?
Oil gauge stayed at around 75 and temperature stayed at around 180........would love any helpful comments.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Scandia wrote:I am a new Albin Owner and have been running my 2005 28TE with a Yanmar 315 at around 3200 RPM's with no issues. Last weekend on a longer trip I started to run at 3500 to 3600 RPM's and grey smoke started to billow out of exhaust. Powered down to 2500 RPM's and smoke decreased significantly. My mechanic has indicated this is "normal" for this boat and engine??? Can anyone give me some insight on this? Also, the reserve coolant tank seems to always be empty no matter how much coolant we put in; there seems to be plenty in the engine but none in the reserve tank.....any thoughts?
Oil gauge stayed at around 75 and temperature stayed at around 180........would love any helpful comments.
Depending on the day, air, and water temps cranking the engine can result in steam (yes, steam) forming in your exhaust stream. Both my 28 and the 35 did/do this. One sure sign is how quickly it dissipates behind you, when the engine is truely smoking it fades but doesn't vanish, whereas the steam just wisps away quickly to nothing.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Scandia
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Larchmont, NY

Post by Scandia »

Thanks for the quick response. I would have thought the steam would appear more white than grey, but, will check out your explanation on the test run tomorrow.
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

I have heard there is an electric air pre-heater to prevent smoke when the air is cold. I know its the middle of summer, but I recall you are a northern boater, it may be cool enough. Perhaps you could ask your service company if it may be the culprit.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Halcyon wrote:I have heard there is an electric air pre-heater to prevent smoke when the air is cold. I know its the middle of summer, but I recall you are a northern boater, it may be cool enough. Perhaps you could ask your service company if it may be the culprit.
That's only on start-up.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”