• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 te prop removal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mike G
Gold Member
Gold Member

28 te prop removal

Post by Mike G »

suggestions on how to remove the prop. Is it necessary to remove the rudder for clearance?

Mike G
MI MARG
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: 28 te prop removal

Post by Veebyes2 »

Something is very wrong if the rudder of a boat needs to be removed to get the prop off. Buy/borrow/rent a prop puller. Easy job with the right tool. :)
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

MIke -

It's been a while, but I believe when I removed my prop I disengaged the steering ram and just moved the rudder to 90 deg for enough clearance to slide the prop out. There have been several different rudder configurations over the years for the 28s, so you may or may not have to do this.

My prop was stuck on there good and required the boatyard's industrial strength puller. (Be sure and check the Boatdiesel article for re-installation guidance - there some small but very important steps.)

Ed
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I used to work for the company that made Pro-Pull prop pullers. Those are, without a doubt, the tool for the job. And who knows, if you use one, you might just be using a tool I built.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

You do not have to worry about the rudder. It will clear (not by much). I borrowed a prop puller from the local dealer to remove mine. Leave the nut loose on the end of the shaft to prevent the prop from flying off when you tighten the prop puller. When it breaks free it will pop backwards with quite a bit of force.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Jack, Did you use a puller like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Ah, yes. I remember putting those things together. The margins on those things are HUGE, and the sales are low. In one week, I assembled a years supply of them. Grueling, back-breaking work, though. They put me on it on my first day on the job and by lunch, I was dripping with sweat after threading those 1" thick rods into the arms with a pipe wrench for four hours. The owner called me into his office and saw my sweat covered face and shirt and said, "well, you're obviously not afraid to work hard. You can stay." That was the closest I ever heard him come to giving praise to anyone. A year later I quit.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Well thanks for your hard work. I love mine..it is one of the easyist to use...works great underwater. Done that a few times.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

RobS wrote:Jack, Did you use a puller like this?
I borrowed the prop puller from Standish to remove mine. It was more of a scissor type actuation with a screw pushing on the center of the shaft.
The one pictured looks like it will do the job.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
JKISP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Melbourne, FL

Post by JKISP »

I am looking at a prop puller for my 28 Albin TE with Yanmar 315, 1 1/2" shaft, 1 1/4" pilot and 19L19 4 blade prop. The puller is a 4 bolt canister type and looks like it will fit nicely over my prop ( I have a spare 19L19 prop ) but the boat is in the water and can't easily verify the amount of clearance between the forward face of the prop hub and the strut. The prop puller has a 4 1/8" diameter 3/8" thick plate that has a cutout large enough for a 1 3/4" shaft that has to be inserted on the forward face of the prop hub. When the boat was out of the water I remember the prop was close to the strut but did not measure. Does anyone have a measurement or good picture?
JKISP
"Island Belle" 2003 28TE, 6LP, Hull # 586
Manatee Cove Marina, Patrick AFB
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

JKISP wrote:...Does anyone have a measurement or good picture?
Check out this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4538&p=26725&hilit=collar#p26725
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

JKISP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JKISP »

Great picture Rob! Thanks! Looks like Senix Marina. Hope Tom and Butch are still there and its still a good marina.
JKISP
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

JKISP wrote:Great picture Rob! Thanks! Looks like Senix Marina. Hope Tom and Butch are still there and its still a good marina.
Yup, Senix Marina it is. That's where she (and I :wink: ) spend the winter. Tom and Butch are still there and all is pretty much status quo.

I grew up on the water across the creek from the gas dock. My parents still own the house there so that's where I keep my Albin. See the arrow in the picture.

Did you have a boat at Senix? If so, what was it? What name?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

JKISP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JKISP »

My home was 75 Lake Ave on Senix Creek for 20 years and for 8 years prior on Orchard Neck Creek. Kept my Grand Banks "Island Lady" in the slip on Senix Creek in summer and here in Melbourne FL in winter for 7 years. Great trips to and from. There are only 2 kinds of sailors in Moriches Bay. Those who say the have run aground and liars. Maureen and I had a great time at the FL Rendezvous and leave in 10 days for Beaufort Inlet, NC for a month on "Island Belle" our awesome Albin 28 TE that we love. Keep up the good work on the AOG site with your excellent knowledge of the the boat and your very clear and concise description of maintenance and repair... thank you.
JKISP
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Thanks for the kind words.

Wow, just checked out 75 Lake on Google maps, NICE place! but a little too close to the Mockridge's :lol:

Just last month I looked at a house on Lake, a little closer to the mouth of the creek, where the waterfront is across the street from the homes. Considering moving back to the water. Tough to pull the trigger though when I love my home on the north shore in Wading River (and I'm 40 and it's just about paid for :D ) and I already have a great 3 sided bulkheaded slip for free at my parent's...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”