• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Binoculars

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

JC78
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Redwood City, CA

Binoculars

Post by JC78 »

Time to get some dedicated boat binoculars. Any recommendations? How useful (and how often useful) is having an integrated compass?
JC
2001 28 TE
Blue Moon
Hull # 537
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: Binoculars

Post by loubennett »

Get a pair that are 7 X 50. Higher power quickly becomes useless on a moving boat and the light gathering capability is a big help at night compared to 7 X 35. The compass is really a matter of if you want to take bearings and navigate the old fashioned way. I bought a pair of the West Marine brand 2 years ago and they have remarkably good optics for moderately priced binoculars. They have a range of models with and without compasses. I'd go for a pair that is waterproof so you don't have to worry about them getting wet. Try them in the store before you buy.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I finally got up the nerve to spend the money and bought a pair of Fujinon Techno-Stabi binoculars from Defender over the winter.

They are AWESOME!

I'm able to get a clear view of boats, buoys, debris, whatever from a moving deck, something I always struggled with with traditional binoculars. The Fujinon's have some of the best tech specs for the amount of motion dampening they provide.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 49&id=6675
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Binocs are an absolute must...for spotting an AOG flag!! You would be able to shout oiut "AOG flag!"
Now with the integral compass you can shout out
"AOG flag at 30 degrees!" :lol:
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Or spotting Osprey while cruising the wetlands of Shelter Island in the dink last weekend. I like the auto focus and waterproof feature. These have the compass.. Bought 'em a couple years back strolling the vendor area of the Atlantic City boat show. Good binocs for the money..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

There's a sporting goods store in the Pacific Northwest called "Big 5". Quite by accident we discovered they sell binocs so heavily discounted we bought 2 pair for about $60. One is the required 7x50 and I think the other is an 8x35. They're a totally unknown Czech or Hungarian brand but they work great. They both have rubber cushioning and heavily coated lenses. No compass though. ALWAYS test the pair you're buying to assure the prisms are aligned properly and all the adjustments work smoothly. Never buy binocs in a plastic clamshell package.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
ctlionsden
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ctlionsden »

If you're still in the market, let me add my vote for the Fuji option. Can't beat an image stabilized binocular for boating, especially since the magnification is doubled with virtually no shake! You might try eBay for another option. There are usually a couple available at better pricing than Defender.
for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujifilm-Fujinon-Te ... 2312558598
By the way, the Fuji are much better than Canon stabilized models, with added gyros.
jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jumpjet231 »

Third vote for Fujinon. A Navy bud of mine had a pair on the water this past weekend at the Cambridge boat races. They were the best binos I've ever looked through. I will be buying a pair.
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"

Return to “General Discussion”