• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE stuffing box

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

billbag

28 TE stuffing box

Post by billbag »

I have a 1996 28 TE with a pennisular engine and a v-drive. My stuffing bos is leaking and needs to be tightened. There is a large bronze nut on the end of the shaft tube that appears to be just one piece. Can't see any lcoknut or set screw that holds it in place but it will not turn to tighten. Has anyone had experience with this set up?
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 28 TE stuffing box

Post by Denis »

I have a 94 with the Peninsular engine. My stuffing box is located under a piece of hose that is clamped around the shaft. The clamp should be loose enough to swivel out of the way and it should expose the two locking rings. Use a long bar to back off the outer ring and tighten up the inner ring, then snug the outer locking ring again. There should be a drip of water every eight to ten seconds or so. Don't forget to slide the hose back over the nuts again, that keeps water from spraying on the oil pan. If you can't slow the drip of water it is probably time for new packing.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”