• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

battery charger

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

battery charger

Post by erice »

two days ago, i spent the better part of the morning cleaning out the bilge. yesterday, i checked the batteries, found voltage low. checked charger, no signs of life. circuit breaker ok, power to charger so i checked the batteries themselves. all appeared ok, except one negative cable feels weak, like it has partially broken. obviously i will correct the cable issue, but do you think this could cause a no charging condition? none of the indicator lights on the charger are lit.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: battery charger

Post by DougSea »

Is your 12v panel ok? Lights work, etc? If so, sounds like your charger is dead. If not, you may have a bad cable. What model do you have? Did you get hit with the lightning storms we had here in NY this week? You may have taken a hit.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

DougSea wrote:Is your 12v panel ok? Lights work, etc? If so, sounds like your charger is dead. If not, you may have a bad cable. What model do you have? Did you get hit with the lightning storms we had here in NY this week? You may have taken a hit.
I was thinking the same thing. Mine got hit a few years ago. The only thing it damaged was the charger. I replaced it with a Xantrex unit. But, before you replace, did you check the large fuse? (assuming you have one) I don't know exactly what it's called. Mine is just before the charger/inverter on the AC side. That fuse blew once and I thought the charger was dead.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
erice
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by erice »

thanks for the replys. i've gone online to get an owners manual, and in trouble shooting, they refer to checking the glass fuse; if it's blown, replace it. if it blows again, the board is toast & time to replace charger. i'm going down today to check, i'll let you know.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Just got the boat wet last weekend and come to find out my batteries would not hold a charge any longer. Checked all systems, battery charger, cables, etc. and came to the conclusion that my original 8D deep cycle batteries had crapped out. After last years experience with wet batteries (my first), I realized the water needs to be checked periodically. I had to add about three gallons of distilled water to the 4 batteries in order to crank over the engines. I've been told that once that happens the life of the batteries are diminished considerably. 4 new batteries were installed Saturday and things are looking good. Heavy things they are....about 160 pounds a piece!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
erice
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by erice »

well, i went to the boat, fuse was ok; cables to batteries fine, a/c power to unit ok. i pulled the charger and hope to have it checked soon, but my gut tells me it's time to pony up for a new charger.
erice
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by erice »

well, it looks like the charger is toast. sorta expected that. i'm wondering if there was an issue with lightning as my heart inverter also seems to be inop. both items are connected to shore power. hmmmmmm, i wonder.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

erice wrote:well, it looks like the charger is toast. sorta expected that. i'm wondering if there was an issue with lightning as my heart inverter also seems to be inop. both items are connected to shore power. hmmmmmm, i wonder.

Quite possible. It doesn't even have to be a direct hit.

Check out this video from last Thursday. You can make out Sonny IV back behind the boat that gets hit.

http://www.boatingonthehudson.com/fishi ... youtubecom

I think the guy taking the video must have just about had a heart attack! No damage to me but I hear the guy who took the hit had ALL of his eletronics fried.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote: Check out this video from last Thursday.
....I hear the guy who took the hit had ALL of his electronics fried.
:shock:
Actually I think the videographer faired rather well considering the close proximity of that strike.
Shocking that boat didn't go up in flames. I have handled quite a few building fires from direct hits.
Just what I needed to see a couple nights before spending the weekend on the hook - thanks Doug!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”