• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

30 amp plug

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

30 amp plug

Post by jprohan »

I have a 20 year old 32; I noticed recently that one of the holes on my shore power plug was blackened; and when I removed and touched the area it was hot! I pulled the male receptacle out of the boat; and discovered the white wire had been REALLY hot. Most of the insulation was worn off; and the wire was quite deteriorated. I also noticed that the guilty plug was a little loose. Needless to say I replaced the receptacle. So any of you out there with an older Albin; keep an eye on your shore power; when you remove the shore power plug; you should be able to touch it and not feel any heat.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: 30 amp plug

Post by jleonard »

Yes that is a major cause of boat fires. Check your plugs
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Good post Jprohan,

Just to make a point - If you are pulling a lot of power, say 20-30 amps, running A/C, battery charger, fridge...the wires and terminals may be warm. Not hot, but you can certainly feel SOME heat.

Blackened terminals and hot? You have a problem and you need to resolve it right away. Corrosion is also an enemy of high current, so keep those terminals clean!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Not just the older boats! I was going to post this a couple weeks ago, and have been too busy. After returning from 3 days of fishing back to the home slip, I plugged in the boat and no power to the AC panel. Started checking things with the voltage tester, and traced it to the 30a plug in the boat. Removed the plug to find the hot wire (black) completely melted in the moulded plug. It looked like the connection (screw) had worked its way loose and started to heat up. We had the reverse cycle heat going because a few of the guys were staying on the boat over the weekend. The scary thing is we never smelled or saw any smoke.
One more thing to add to the Spring list, check/tighten shore power connections.
Ended up striping the cable back to get to some clean copper and installing a new plug, and all is good.
This was on a 2006 model.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”