• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

externaly mounted water tank monitor

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

externaly mounted water tank monitor

Post by erice »

has anyone installed an externaly mounted water tank level sensor? what kind? easy to install? accurate? pros & cons please.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: externaly mounted water tank monitor

Post by Cape Codder »

No I haven't, but I sure could use one.........
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Trawlerman
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Baltimore, MD

Post by Trawlerman »

A little pricey but a really nice unit:

https://watercounter.com/

Jim
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

I installed a screw off observation plate on the toip of my tank; about 4" in diameter. I can peek in at any time, and stick the hose in to fill; if I don't feel like filling from the deck fill. Ofcourse my tank started leaking at a bottom seam at less than 2 years old. Only way I figured it out was a mirro on a stick.I cut the top off the tank to repair; and made a starboard tank cover. There was no way to replace the tank without losing capacity. When we cruised the Abacos, water was a precious resource. I did the same to my holding tank, a few years later, when the sensor corroded away and I saw the price for a replacement.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Several seasons ago I installed external monitors on the two water tanks and the waste tank. It work beautifully for one season then just stopped working the next. Nothing got wet and everything looked great it just would not work. Called the factory but it was out of warranty and was too expensive to replace to only get a little over a year out of it. But it still looks great!
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
erice
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n. kingstown ri

Post by erice »

denis: what brand of monitor was that?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I've been considering adding a NMEA 2000 network to the boat and one of the likely sensors would be the tank level monitors. They are ultrasonic, good for most liquids, AND can be adjusted to handle irregularly shaped tanks. It's a pricey way to go if the only thing you want to monitor are the tanks but...add engine monitors, weather instruments, etc. and it starts to be more price effective.

Best place to start looking is Maretron. http://www.maretron.com/products/tlm100.php
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”