• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1998 Albin28 propeller shaft seal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

bluechip7676
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: West Falmouth, Cape Cod, MA

1998 Albin28 propeller shaft seal

Post by bluechip7676 »

my 28 with a Peninsula engine with about 900 hours has a Norscot propeller shaft seal sytem with the lube leaking at the shaft...since this is under the engine, it not accessible without removing the engine. I do not know how long this leak has been occuring though I think there has been some lube in my bilge water when pumped last year and certainly this. My yard is not sure how important this seal lube is to the shaft, and mentioned that it was lubed by sea water also, if I understood correctly.
Does anyone know anything about this, or repaired a seal without major surgery ?? Any ideas or advice?? I don't want to screw up my shaft..Thanks ..Peter on Blue Chip, West Falmouth, MA
I love my 1998 Albin28..but I hate the Peninsula in it
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: 1998 Albin28 propeller shaft seal

Post by RobS »

Not familiar with the Norscot setup but it should be able to be accessed without pulling the engine. I have accessed the shaft seal on more that one 28TE engine box model with the 6LP.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1998 Albin28 propeller shaft seal

Post by Denis »

I had the shaft stuffing replaced with the Peninsular engine in place and the mechanic had no problems at all. If I can recall, it took less than an hour. He said he could also install a new seal with the engine in if I wanted but I didn't need that at the time.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”