• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

36 0r 40 upper transom thickness?

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

36 0r 40 upper transom thickness?

Post by jleonard »

Does anyone know how thick the fiberglass is on the upper transom? I'm talking about the area that is above the decking and wondering about the thickness of the inner shell.
I ask because I am planning on attaching brackets to the transom to mount my dinghy davits to.
Currently they are mounted (by the previous owner) to the teak deck.
Thanks in advance.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Re: 36 0r 40 upper transom thickness?

Post by Despacio »

The transom on my 33 is probably just under 3/8 thick. It is very strong.

Trying to decide how to best store my Caribe C12 and outboard on the back of my 33, I decided to take a minimalist approach. I bolted two big stainless steel eyes to the top of the transom, in the area you describe. I use nothing else.

With Yamaha 15 outboard attached, I put one corner of one tube up on the swim step, then winch the dinghy up on it's side using a line from the boom to a self tailing winch on the mast. Then I tie lines between the upper and lower eyes on the rib. I then deflate the tubes so the dinghy is hanging from the eyes. No pressure on the tubes.

The top of the outboard is against the transom and hangs at a slight angle.

A Caribe C12 is a big dinghy, but is only 6 inches longer than my boat is wide, that's 3 each side. With the dinghy deflated it is very small even with the engine attached.

To launch, just inflate the tubes, untie the lines from the eyes and lower it with the block and tackle attached to the boom.

I've been doing this for about 5 years it is simple and it works. And with it deflated it is below the deck line, and not touching the swim step. Only the extreme lower part of the engine sticks aft past the swim step.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Thanks. I want to launch and go. Don't want to mess around deflating/inflating the tubes. 1/4 thick stainless brackets are in the works. Backing plates are done.
Dinghy will be similar in size to yours...10-4 Achilles double hull RIB and a 15 Yamaha 2 stroke. Should total around 240#.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Hi I have just replaced all the transom stiffners that hold the swim platform as they had rotted. I used 2 x 3/4 inch pieces of marine ply laminated together with epoxy and covered with the same. These make incredibly strong batons and would work well with your dingy davit attachments. Regards Sebastian
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

I agree, with the approx 3/8" we replaced the swim platform the first winter and all of our supports were also rotten. West System laminated 1" teak ply and bolted thru that 5200 to coat holes and adhere to hull. Obviously the bigger the backer, the sronger.

Would be great to see pics of the finished product!
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

I'll definately take some pics and post. I'm actually really glad you had to do the same as me and it has also worked. Thanks for giving me some confidence. Sebastian

Return to “36/37/40/43”