• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Other Downeasters

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

JC78
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Redwood City, CA

Other Downeasters

Post by JC78 »

We love our Albin 28 (and if you were watching the SF Giants - Colorado Rockies game on Mother's Day, you could see her in McCovey Cove). But now that we are sensitized to the boating world, we also love looking at similar boats.

My Question:

If money was no object, what other boats in the downeaster 28'-40' range would you like to own? We have seen Back Coves and Sabres, and have heard someone say Hinckley. Any opinions out there?
JC
2001 28 TE
Blue Moon
Hull # 537
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Other Downeasters

Post by DougSea »

Eastbay. Done and done. :)

And the big Hunt. OMG!!

Really crazy? Vicem (classic line)

But, since money IS an object...

Albin 35TE!! 8)

Of course many of these (except the Albin) are JUST a bit bigger than you spec'd...but man, I'd love one of them! We did seriously consider the Eastbay 36. Beautiful boat.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JC78
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JC78 »

Doug-

Why an Eastbay over a Back Cove, for example?
JC
2001 28 TE
Blue Moon
Hull # 537
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Part of it would be having the strength of the Grand Banks brand behind you. A solid reputation for making a near bullet-proof boat that stretches over years and years. Then there's the lines. The Back Cove's are nice but there's just something about the Eastbay's. I think they're some of the prettiest boats on the water.

And...they've made a lot of them. So...since again money was a factor; You can find a lot more nicely equipped Eastbay's out there, at a relatively reasonable price, than you can Back Coves.

The same holds true for Sabre. Not as many out there. In our size/price range the Eastbay's won again.
Doug
Sonny IV
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

We toured the Hinkley factory in the late 90s. We were real close to getting the picnic boat. At that time the boat was 334k. The jet drive was desireable because of where we live. I have no idea what they are selling for now.
The Hunt and Eastbay are both great boats to look at but the TE 31 will be our next-last boat.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote:We were real close to getting the picnic boat. At that time the boat was 334k.
Hmmm, not to knock the Albin but wasn't there something in between... (or did this go right over my head)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave »

Compton 33, there are a couple for sale on yachtworld. There is one in our area and it is quite the boat, very similar to Albins, in fact the owner said he had difficulty chosing between the two when he made his purchase.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Hmmm,
Price not object...
Visit architect Spencer Lincoln in Maine....and say "Start drawing".......
"I'll tell ya when to stop".....
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote:
jcollins wrote:We were real close to getting the picnic boat. At that time the boat was 334k.
Hmmm, not to knock the Albin but wasn't there something in between... (or did this go right over my head)
Sure. Plenty of inbetween after that trip to Maine. The original poster mentioned Hinkley. Just came to mind. I must admit though, when I was searching for a safe, durable, convertible, the Albin was hands down my choice. And, it was in my price range. Now that I'm looking for a safe, durable, pilot house. Once again...
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

okay ... I'll play:

Doug ... the grand banks EastBay is certainly one of my top 3. The other two in true traditional downeast fashion:

1). The Ellis 36 ft. Flybridge Express and the 36 ft. Express Cruiser. I did have the pleasure of delivering an Express Cruiser for a friend who was jammed and wanted her home. I quickly volunteered for the trip from Cos Cob, CT to Manchester, MA. Sweet ride with her full keel single screw design and 480 hp Yanmar. What Buzzard's Bay Slop! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
On the lightly used market: 300K
36 Flybridge Cruiser.jpg
36flybridgehull.jpg
2). The 33 ft. Robinhood Power yacht / another true downeast full keel single screw design.
On the lightly used market : 199k to 300k
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
JC78
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JC78 »

Anybody ever see/ride in/look at a MJM? Expensive boat, but I guess I did say IF money was no object....
JC
2001 28 TE
Blue Moon
Hull # 537
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

MJM is an interesting story. Bob Johnstone, co-founder of J-Boats, became interested in a power boat of this type for his personal use. He was not initially interested in being a power boat manufacturer. The story goes that he discussed the concept with Bob Hinckley at the Annapolis Boat Show one year and encouraged Hinckley to build such a boat. This ultimately led to the Hinckley Picnic Boat. Later Johnstone decided to enter the market by applying the technology that had been developed for construction of the J-Boat sailboats to a power boat. The result is a strong, light, fuel efficient power boat. It is said that Johnstone's initial interest in power boats was largely to satisfy the desires of his wife Mary. It is also said that MJM stands for "Mary Johnstone's Motorboat".
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

JC78 wrote:Anybody ever see/ride in/look at a MJM? Expensive boat, but I guess I did say IF money was no object....
MJM is usually at the Norwalk Boat show and Kathy and I had looked at them as a possible upgrade from our 28. Very nice looking, huge side glass in the pilothouse and nicely laid out. And if their fuel burn/performance numbers are correct, a fast efficient hull.

IF money was no object I'd sure be looking at them! And since it's no object it wouldn't be for fuel cost, it would be in part for range! Can't find the tank specs on the 34 but assuming ~300 gallons she should do 400+ nm easily on one fuel load. Possibbly a lot more if you slow down (which I am incapable of doing!!)
Doug
Sonny IV
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by powerboater56 »

The MJM 40 is a great boat, but expensive($900K+) for what you get. In the same size range the Sabre 40 is very nice, especially with the new Zeus or Volvo IPS drives. For less money the Back Cove 37 is a nice boat -- it has great open feeling between the cockpit and main saloon due to a huge sliding door system.

For an offbeat but worthwhile option you may want to consider the Island Pilot 39/40. The appearance is not classic down east -- a bit angular -- but the boat has great performance from Volvo IPS or sterndrives and it appears to be well made. There are a couple of not-too-old Island Pilots for sale under $300k, which compares very well to similar vintage East Bays, Sabres and Hinckleys.

East Bays are very well made boats and some models are getting quite reasonable on the used boat market -- older East Bay 38's and even the Eat Bay 49's are common on Yachtworld. I dislike the amount of brightwork, however -- East Bay's are maintenance-intensive.

If money is no object, consider the San Juan line -- they make beautiful boats with great performance and construction. Or possibly a new, custom Huckins -- very distinctive, classy and you can get exactly what you want.
John S.
Jamestown, RI

Return to “General Discussion”