• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thinking of 10' Solstice inflatable

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thinking of 10' Solstice inflatable

Post by zinbaad »

Thinking of buy a new 10" Solstice Sportster 23310 inflatable dingy. Priced at $799 delivered
inflatable floor ok?
want to be able to carry on roof of 31 TE? weight?
will 5 hp be ok?
Fairly durable?
I would consider a harder bottom but I think the weight would be way to much to lift by hand onto the roof. I hear an 8 footer might be too small. 10 ft seems to work for me or should I go for 11 footer?
I was considering a used combo with motor but dont want a headache. ANY OPINIONS APPRECIATED
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Thinking of 10" Solstice inflatable

Post by jleonard »

Not familiar with Solstice, however,
Lot of my marina mates have 10 ft air floor boats. Yes very light, easy to handle, won't be a problem on your roof provided you tie it down well as I'm sure you know.
Should be a nice rig with a 5...one guy I know has a 10 ft air floor quicksilver and a 4 hp and it's fine. ngine weight is low so easy to get on/off the dink.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Thinking of 10' Solstice inflatable

Post by jcollins »

Hi Ed,
It depends on intended use. If your using as just a way to get from your mooring to shore or putting around it's fine. If you want to really get out and explore it may not be what you want. I have owned 3 different inflatables over the years. I presently have a Mercury 10' with air floor. It really isn't that stable when run on plane with a slight chop. I used to cruise the bay (on a calm day) or run over to Middle River in my Zodiac (wood floor) and never think twice. I wouldn't do that with this one. But, to get the dogs to shore for a break or Sharon and I to the restaurant it's fine. Also cheaper and lighter. I have a 9.9 on mine and it runs 17-18 mph at WOT.
I should also add that I tow it and don't have to lift it up like you will be doing.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Thanks Guys. I was also wondering if a 9.9 HP would fit in the big transom fish box on the 31te or might a 4 hp work better put put put pt.....I would like a solid floor but I think the weight might be too much to lift while inflated
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I just picked up an 8'6 air floor Achilles LSI260 with a 4hp. Have not been out on the water yet. I know the RIB is night/day a better performer but I wanted it light as possible and able to be rolled up and put away. Its basically gonna be used for ship to shore when on the hook, getting into the shallows and for the girls to putt around on. Very nice valves, I was pleasantly surprised how quick and easy it is to inflate & deflate with the foot pump.

Ed, for just the 2 of you 10ft is more than enough room.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

You can fit quite a bit in a 9ft inflatable boat! :lol:
dogs-in-boat.JPG
I have a 2 horse Honda because it's light and easy to store.
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Yeah, remember that whatever motor you buy you are going to have to put it on and take it off with the dink bouncing around in the water. Lifting 50 pounds on land is a lot different than hanging over the back of an unstable dingy trying to line up the clamps on a 50 # outboard that is going to set you back a grand if you drop it into the drink. Outboards are funny shapes made to look like they are going fast when sitting still. Little design thought is given to easy handholds and balance. Yo don't think about that stuff until after the purchase.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Ric raises some good points. We also have the 2hp Honda that furball mentions on our 9ft. I really don't want to handle anything heavier than the Honda's 30 pounds when I'm trying to attach the motor standing on the swim platfrom.
I put the inflatable in the water, and back it into the swim platform, and lift the rear tips of the pontoons up onto the swim platform, leaving area behind the inflatable transom to lower the Honda onto the transom, and tighten. Works awesome.
I have a friend with a 5hp Merc that nearly kills himself every time.
We can debate the pro's and con's of the 2hp Honda, but for me, it's ideal.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Im putting a set of Weaver davitts on my swim platform. You snap the dingy into the davits and it's very stable for getting in & out and setting up the motor. The 4 stroke 3.5 HP Tohatsu I bought weighs about 43 lbs, same as their 2.5 (same engine different carb). When you step up to 4 HP it;s the next bigger engine block, and weighs in at 57 lbs., same as the 5 & 6HP
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

When I bought my Evinrude 2 cycle 8 HP in 1999 it weighed 56 # and I humped it on and off the dink for several years on my EX boat. Then I got the Albin and stored the engine on the dinghy suspended by davits.
When I sold the engine last summer it weighed at least 100 #. I swear!! :lol:
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

jleonard wrote:When I bought my Evinrude 2 cycle 8 HP in 1999 it weighed 56 # and I humped it on and off the dink for several years on my EX boat. Then I got the Albin and stored the engine on the dinghy suspended by davits.
When I sold the engine last summer it weighed at least 100 #. I swear!! :lol:
I swear my 63# 2 stroke Johnson 8hp is getting heavier each year as well. :lol:
A few years back I did purchase a Johnson 3.5 with internal tank and had trouble with it leaking fuel when layed on the deck ... all tank parts were cheap plastic (tank, cap, vent) The vent would never completely seal. Sold it and went back to the old external tank 1993 8 hp that was sittiing the barn. Keep threatening to look for the smallest external tank motor on the market .... :roll:

As Ric is doing, I have the Weaver davits. I leave the rafts snapped in when loading or unlloading the motor. They sure do help to steady things.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Keep threatening to look for the smallest external tank motor on the market
Could one simply disconnect the fuel line from the integral tank and plumb an external tank? Or does the engine require gravity feed?
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

After trying to handle an 8 HP Johnson on my Avon inflatable, I switched to a Honda 2 HP. I won't win any races, however, the air cooled, reliable, gas sipping, very light, small Honda is much easier to move around.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:....and had trouble with it leaking fuel when layed on the deck ... all tank parts were cheap plastic (tank, cap, vent) The vent would never completely seal. Sold it and went back to the old external tank 1993 8 hp that was sittiing the barn. Keep threatening to look for the smallest external tank motor on the market .... :roll:
Was concerned about that when making a recent outboard purchase so I went with the 4hp Tohatsu as it has the integral tank as well as the connection for the remote tank so you can use either/or.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

I had a 12" Jolly Boat RIB inflatable in FL. Best dink I ever had; with a 15HP Evinrude. I always towed the dink without the motor; and as long as you can remember to pull it up alongside when anchoring, never had a problem. The motor stored perfectly on the livewell sink in my cockpit; and I raised and lowered with a swing arm davit that went thru my port hawse hole. Towed it back and forth to the Abacos and Keys several times. Then I moved up to a 16' Key West; really wasn't a dink, but much more fun to have in the Bahamas cause you could really get outside to snorkel/fish. Towing the Key West slowed me down 2 kts. and added 2 GPH fuel consumption...but it was worth it!

Return to “General Discussion”