• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Recaulk of Bridge Deck 40' Trawler

mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Recaulk of Bridge Deck 40' Trawler

Post by mudskipper »

After purchasing a 40' Alibin Trawler it quickly became obvious that it leaked In the ongoing effort to minimize leaking, I decided to start at the top and work down. So with the bridge deck dry after a winter under shrink wrap, I decided to recualk. (play sinister music)

Here is a link to pictures of the process:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1155306594 ... directlink

And here is the story:

After much research and the purchasing of two fantastic tools (the Fein Multimaster with reefing hook and a power caulker), my daughter and I began the process of removing the old caulk. Before starting, we got a quote from the one local company who said they could do the job. For the bridge only: $7000. So, for the past week we have been on hands and knees learning why it costs $7000.

If you are not familiar, recaulking involves stripping out the old caulk and laying new caulk. Easy, right? Actually, even with the Fein tool to reef most of the caulk and TDS reefing hooks, and knives, and screwdrivers, and sandpaper, and rum....it's a hideous job. Each groove must be sanded to bare teak on the side walls for the caulk to adhere properly. Prep took 5 LONG days and two people. The weather gods were clearly unhappy because it threatened rain and howled wind at which point we managed to put up a tarp. When the moisture couldn't get to our dry deck from above, it got foggy and tried to creep under. Foiled again by the tarp, it contented itself to howl from every conceivable wind direction and flap the tarp until we were close to madness. We dolled out rations of rum, put in earplugs and continued. Next was tape. Lots of tape. By this point it was mid-afternoon on the 5th day with the tarp threatening to shred and a weather report of rain. It was now or never. Enter the Power Caulker! What a wonderful tool. Bbzzzzzup! Down each line. Squeegee. Pull tape. Repeat.

If you are planning to embark on this journey, have your head examined. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to assure you it's worth the $7000.

ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Re: Recaulk of Bridge Deck 40' Trawler

Post by ScubaPete »

Very impressive work. I was wondering about the white caulk in the first few pictures, but it really looks nice once it's finished. And I agree, $7,000 will buy a lot of caulk, tape and rum.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Recaulk of Bridge Deck 40' Trawler

Post by DougSea »

Wow! And I thought my bottom paint stripping was a lot of work! (Actually, it was!)

Very nice work Mudskipper! She looks beautiful!

And thanks for a well told story, what's the next chapter going to be? ;-)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “36/37/40/43”