• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hudson cruise

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Hudson cruise

Post by jprohan »

Yesterday I posted an inquiry re info on a Hudson River cruise. Got a couple of responses; but now my post went bye bye. We only have a week; and are coming from Long Island. I am interested in info re marinas, nice towns with waterfront accomodations etc; as well as distances north from NYC. Is Kingston doable in a week from NYC and is it worth it? How much effect is the flow of the river? Any insights would be appreciated.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Hudson cruise

Post by DougSea »

jprohan wrote:Yesterday I posted an inquiry re info on a Hudson River cruise. Got a couple of responses; but now my post went bye bye.
Look in the cruising forum...you may find a familiar post. :)

John likes to keep the forum organized. It helps when people go back later looking for information.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

We cruised as far as Newburg, NY a few years ago. A couple of things worth mentioning. The river has swift tide current. We were stuck in the slip until the tide slacked a bit. The Albin bow thruster might have over powered the current but my friends catamaran was stuck. Second are the noisey freight trains that run all night very close to the river bank. Third, you'll be lulled by the beautiful scenery go around a bend and be confronted by a huge freighter, stay alert.
Owner of 28' TE
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

How fast do you want to go? Troy would be doable in a week if you want to see how far you can go in short amount of time. Otherwise, I think Kingston would be about as far north as you may want to go. Catskill Marina is also a good stopover. We have anchored out on the East side of the river for an overnight and I will confirm that the trains run all night long. If you decide to drop the hook for an overnight, the west side would be better and stay away from a small town that has a crossing at both ends of town! A cruise on the Hudson is well worth the time. We've spent many weekends at Kingston town dock, but they're other marinas to choose from. Usually they have some entertainment on the waterfront at the town docks during the summer months, at least on weekends. We haven't been in a couple of years, but the last time we were there, it was a buck a foot, including power. Catskill last year, I believe, was 2 bucks a foot, but that was in May, an off season rate, but did include power. They also have a pool. 2 good stops. Good luck,

Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

If you have a week, is that for the round trip or just a one way? Kingston is a nice destination, but try to get in touch with the marina that you want to stop at to be sure of a berth for your particular boat. There is information on line about the private marinas as well as the public dock. You did not say about when you wanted to make this trip, and that can be a factor in accommodations.
There is a nice anchorage at Croton, if that suits your timing. From there to Kingston is a gentle day's ride at not too great a speed. The Highlands, including West Point, is worth a slower speed so that you can absorb the surroundings that have Revolutionary War importance.
If you belong to a boat club, check to see what clubs that are on the way offer reciprocal privileges. You may have a better time at cooperating clubs than at marinas. Some clubs have moorings only while some have those as well as slips. If you are a club member, it would be good to log onto the Hudson River Boat & Yacht Club Assn. site at http://www.hrbybca.org where you may find useful information.
Boating on the Hudson is fun and I hope that you enjoy the scenery. It is likely that you will enter the Hudson at Spuyten Duyvil where there is a RR swing bridge. The bridge attendant will expect you to make contact on VHF Ch. 13, so radio ahead when you expect to be near the bridge. If it is open, you will be told. If it cannot be opened for a time, you will be told.
When you approach the Indian Point nuclear plant, be sure to leave the small white buoys on your right side. If you between those marks and the shore, you may be visited at some speed by a patrol boat.

Return to “General Discussion”