• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

rain water leaks

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

tab
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Edgewater Maryland

rain water leaks

Post by tab »

New to group and Albin. Just acquired 2003 36 Express Trawler. Very happy with boat but for leaks.
When it rains, I get some water in forward birth. Also much water in salon including aft bulkhead, and stbd. bulkhead at interior helm. I have intimately explored the roof, ie. the deck of the fly bridge. Nothing obvious. Anyone with experience with this. Also, does anyone know where I can get a cross section of salon bulkheads and roof etc. showing how the deck of the flybridge is attached to the bulkheads. My guess is the edge of the flybridge deck, as it joins the outside walls of the flybridge hatches etc.
As soon as the marina turns on the water I will try tracing by individual controlled water exposure to various potential structural leaky spots. Thanks. Looking forward to rendezvous at St. Mikes
Fortunate
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Robinhood Marina, Georgetown, ME

Re: rain water leaks

Post by Fortunate »

We have had a few leaks through the years. One problem area with the A27 is the hull to deck joint. To repair this, the rub rail must be removed and 5200 injected into the joint. I have completed about 1/2 the joint and it is fairly easy. I have also had problems with the bedding on the railign mounted to the deck. Again, remove the railing and bedding and install new bedding. The port holes are also a potential leak area. I have 20 years on your boat, so you may have other issues.
Kim Suhr
"Fortunate"
27 Family Cruiser
Robinhood Cove, Georgetown, ME
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

I'm not sure about leaks in the stateroom. But the culprit in the galley is up on the bridge. The drain holes up there are very small and the clog fairly easily. Once that happens water pools up and finds its way into the locker under the rear bench on the bridge. Inside, there is a chase for the wiring for the mast, and water readily finds its way through that hole into the galley area below. Two things to do about this. First, keep those drains clear of debris and gunk. Second, install a riser in the wire chase. Take a piece of tubing of the appropriate size and split it once vertically. Open the split and wrap it around the wires and then close it back up. Then stuff one end into the hole. Seal around the tube and seal the split. You want the tube to rise about 2.5 to 3 inches above the hole. Good quality bridge canvass helps a lot too.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

Not sure about the design of the Express Trawler, but on the 31 Tournament Express where the foredeck is attached to the hull leaked. Do a search for my former post on this for more detail, but in short I removed the rub rail, scrapped off all the old caulk, then recaulked every screw and screwhole and then ran caulk under the rub rail before replacing it. I would use 4200 not 5200, because if you ever need to take the rub rail off again (say to paint the hull) you'll never get the 5200 off. It's permanent.
Jeff S
PS: no more leaks
tab
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Edgewater Maryland

Post by tab »

Thanks to all for the info. I will pursue and let you know how things go.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”