• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin Hull

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Albin Hull

Post by lpbp »

I have a question for you albin fellows , Ordered new transducer and it is 3/8in diameter bigger . What is the best way to make a round hole in the bottom of your boat bigger through the same bottom showed in the photos here .
I have a 1994 28 and this just added to the big list
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Temporarily fasten a sacrificial thin block over the existing hole simply as a guide for your hole saw starter bit. Once the hole is the proper size, remove (carve out) the core material between the fiberglass outer skins and backfill with epoxy. Or you can make the hole slightly larger than required and coat (line) the entire bore with epoxy. A small right angle allen key in a drill works ok to remove the core
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

What is the best way to make a round hole in the bottom of your boat bigger through the same bottom showed in the photos here
When I do that I use a dremel with a sanding drum on it and simply go around the hole a little at a time until I get the xducer to fit. If the hole is a little out of round that doesn't bother me. 5200 cures that problem.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

Post by Ron222 »

I am really glad Joe identified the picture. I first thought he found a black hole located on a pacific island. As a followup to this great topic. I can now conclude that the hull of the A34 above the water is solid fiberglass. This is because the yard and I now remember that the new vents and swim platform shower installed last year went through solid fiberglass. That raises the mystery to the extent of the balsa below the water line. Maybe it is confined to the flat bottom section aft of the keel to the transom. Solid fiberglass above the water and balsa below. Humm. now that's a new twist in naval architecture. Any Albin historical experts out there who might know the name of the brilliant designer of the A34? I would love to give him a call. On a more positive note, I was able to dig out some of the dried and crumbly balsa around the rudder post. The balsa was damp but not wet. The yard will soon raise the boat off its poppets, drop the rudder and make room to dig out more balsa and fiberglass. This will make plenty of room to pump in epoxy resin. As for the struts, the bolts will be removed, inspected and new bolts used if necessary. The bolts will be rebed. That is about the best we can do if the boat will go in the water this year. Overall I believe the hull is still structurally sound despite Albin's best efforts to save money building hull #3.
Ron
A34 Paumanok
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I believe Fortiers are built the same way. They had one to dry out a few winters ago at my marina. It will dry out over a winter if properly prepared. You can always do this to your NEXT winter if you find it necessary.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
bobluka
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: oceanside ny

Post by bobluka »

I have admired the 28TE for years. Just love the appearance, features, layout. Just what I am looking for. I will be in the position to purchase a used one in approx 2 mos. In the 1996-2000 range. Very hot for this model. I have been discussing this boat with some friends who are commercial fisherman, Duffy's and Downeaster's and they both have said be aware of history of serious core/water problems! They are steering me away and that is crushing my intentions for the last 10 yrs. Currently own 24 Grady White Offshore, south shore nassau county NY. How can I restore my confidence and continue pursuing this gem. I take impeccable care of my toys and this would command the same attention. Where do the exaggerations end and the truth begin. Help anyone? I fish up to 25 miles from the beach, Fire Island to New Jersey.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

they both have said be aware of history of serious core/water problems! They are steering me away and that is crushing my intentions for the last 10 yrs.
If Albin had a history of these problems I think you would find it here. From what I'm reading in this post these problems are usually caused by installers that may not be doing a proper job. I'm sure others will jump here or you could start another post specific to your questions.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I agree with john, if it were so common you would have a lot of reading to do here on AOG. And we do have some very meticulous owners among us...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
bobluka
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: oceanside ny

Post by bobluka »

Thanks for the comments. I called C&C marine and they referred me to this site for accuracy. The more I read it seems jcollins is dead on target. Appears to be more installation deficiencies than manufacturer. I also have considered Fortier and Shamrock Mackinaw, which also has its share of similar setbacks. More collateral damage from amateurs. Gotta have confidence in reputable surveyors and go with it. Love this site, thanks again!
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

We have a 88 Albin 36 DB, solid glass below the waterline, and just had the bottom peeled because of blisters. This is not an uncommon problem, particularly in FL where boats tend to be in the water year round. Assuming the blisters are not real deep you can peel off the gelcoat (takes a pro) and some of the glass, let the boat dry out for several months, and then (depending on how much material you had to remove) build the bottom back up, fair it out, and then barrier coat with several layers of commercially available epoxy barrier coat paint. Not fun but doable and the boat will be better than new. This is the second one I've been crazy enough to do.

Return to “General Discussion”