• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Battery Charger

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Battery Charger

Post by Serenity »

The previous owner of my 28TE would start the engine first and then disconnect the ac power from the dock, then turn off the AC panel and shut off the battery charger while the engine was running. Does anyone have any ideas if this procedure would harm the charger, alternator, battery switch or the batteries. I just had to replace the 4D because it was dead. However, the 4D was 3-4 years old. The voltmeter on the console only reads 11.7 volts at idle and not much higher than that when I idle at 1200. Any ideas would be great.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Battery Charger

Post by RobS »

The on-board charger has an overload/shutdown protection circuit so it should not harm anything. Of course it could be a wiring/connection/ground problem someone in the charging circuit but it sounds like your alternator is not putting out. Check it with a multimeter to be sure. You can pull the alternator and take it to an auto electric shop for a bench test/rebuild. Just make sure you tell them what it is out of so they put the correct voltage regulator in it. Tony from Ace Auto Electric in Shirley is good. I had mine rebuilt there last year, it was < $200.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Thanks, if it is the alternator, it is still covered under warranty. On another note, I will be cruising from the Nrth Fork to East Islip in a week or two. Do you have any secrets that you can share about running through Moriches Bay? Poles, stakes or bouys etc.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

max98 wrote:Thanks, if it is the alternator, it is still covered under warranty.
Not sure of the age of your engine or warranty specs.
max98 wrote:On another note, I will be cruising from the Nrth Fork to East Islip in a week or two. Do you have any secrets that you can share about running through Moriches Bay? Poles, stakes or bouys etc.
Here's the best advise I can give you - Get hauled out in Shinnecock and dropped back in in the Great South Bay!

Last year I could get you through Moriches with my eyes closed although some areas would require dragging the skeg in the sand a little if the tide were all the way out. I hear some of the shoals have shifted considerably on the ease side of the USCG station. If you have to run the inside, definitely plan the trip through Moriches at half tide or better and on the incoming (just in case). The outside cut in/out of Moriches Inlet likely shifted this winter as well.

My point being, the GPS coordinates for my routes through Moriches may not be right on this spring as they were last season..

I splash within the next few days so I have not been out yet this year.

If you could run the outside from Shinnecock to Moriches that would at least avoid the area east of the USCG station.

Schedule permitting, I'd be happy to take the run with you, send me a PM.

Also, if you're new to running the 28 the Shinnecock Canal may be more enjoyable when the locks are closed. You can call them at 631-852-8299 and find out when they open/close on a given day.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Rob, I plan at going at the incoming high tide at trhe inlet. Shinnecock canal is fine. I boated in Shinnecock for 15 years. I plan to go next week with a buddy who worked for Boat US in Moriches in 2009. I see that you are planning to go to Coecles Harbor in July. Same here. Perhaps we could run out together.

Serenity
Max
East Islip
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Sounds like you're in good shape, enjoy the ride.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”