• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

strainer cover

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

strainer cover

Post by special k »

ok, while under the boat prepping bottom i notice a lot of barnicles inside the sea water strainer/cover.

with multiple coats of paint i can't tell if this cover is removeable or how. a assume if i chip away the paint there will be screws.

does this cover come off without upsetting the integrity to the thru-hull assembly!
what is the best way to clean this out? haven't checked if accessable from the top.

cheers! mick

(Post moved to Maintenance by Moderator)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: strainer cover

Post by DougSea »

Hi Mick!

The answer, like always, is...it depends. Some thru-hulls have a strainer "foot" attached to them and don't come apart:
OnePieceThruHullStrainer.jpg
Some, like most of the Groco line, have a mounting ring and you can un-screw the grill. I'm attaching a PDF from Groco, see the last one on the page.
Groco-thruhull.pdf
I'll be honest, in the past I always just got up into the raw water intakes with a piece of wire to bust out the little ba$tards and then used a small brush to get a reasonable amount of bottom paint up into them. If they really just seperate as the document shows I'm going to be mad at myself!

(Now I have to add this to my list of things to look at on the new boat!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: strainer cover

Post by Cape Codder »

My 2003 28TE raw water strainer was near plugged closed with barnacle growth.
After taking some paint off, it has 6 phillips head that removes it from a permanent oval ring bonded to the hull. Pretty easy on and off.

Once cleaned, I did what I did to ALL underwater metals (except prop and shaft)

The strainer was brought down to the bare metal, inside and out. One coat of Pettit 2-part underwater primer, two coats of Pettit Tie Coat (rubber paint). Then, 2 coats of Pettit Vivid Anti-fouling. (all applicaations inside and outside of stainer).

The results on the strainer (and all other metals) was ABSOLUTELY NO GROWTH.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha

Return to “Albin Maintenance”