• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Seawater leak around exhaust exit fitting

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Hardee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Seawater leak around exhaust exit fitting

Post by Hardee »

I have a slight seawater leak into the boat, "trickling" around the lower/bottom of the
Exhaust exit of my 2005 Albin 28TE. (exhaust is about one-half under water normally).
This looks to be a "preformed hard material", black like Rubber, held to the Port side aft by
a stainless "trim ring" retained by six large screws. I assume the only fix is to do a haulout
and clean and re-caulk the juncture with the hull.
Just wondering if any other owners have had this problem and how they successfully repaired.
Any input would be apperciated.
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Re: Seawater leak around exhaust exit fitting

Post by ScubaPete »

I hope someone chimes in about this, I think I have the same issue. I would hate to have to do a haul out just for this.
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

We experienced this problem the day we took delivery of the boat last June. The boat was taking on water in sufficient quantity to worry about it sinking since the main bilge pump (since replaced) wasn't working properly (so much for Jabsco pumps). BTW, we have a Cummins engine.

My theory is that when we had some work done at a local boat yard before we took water delivery, a worker accidently kicked or bumped into the hose connecting the exhaust system to the outlet causing the joint to leak. The mechanic, who I called in a panic, attempted to find better SS clamps that provided enough room to tighten the clamps further. He couldn't find any, so he tightened the clamps as much as possible. This solved the problem. There is still a very, very small trickle. I plan to have the hose and clamps replaced when the boat gets hauled for bottom painting in May. I'll let you know what the mechanic ends up doing. It doesn't appear to be possible to fix this in the water unless you can effectively cover the exhaust outlet, which as you pointed out is about half submerged.

Is anyone aware of the source of the hose for the exhaust connection and the proper clamp size?
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

I am interested in this too. If anyone has a supplier for the rubber part or the stainless steel plate securing it to the hull. I have a call in with the new manufacturers for availability of these items.
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL
Hardee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hardee »

Just a note regarding this subject.(sea water leak around exhaust exit):
My leak was getting to be a pretty good trickle, so I had a haul-out, and the boat yard
found that there was nothing wrong with the components, just little or no caulk was
used around the fit-up to the hull. They cleaned, caulked and replaced the screws (6)
and corrected the problem.
Hardee
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

Let me throw in my 2 cents. When my boat was surveyed a leak was noted from the exhaust outlet flange. The original owner had the flange resealed and all was well (I thought) until I got my head down in the bilge the following year. There was water in the same area he had noted. Further diagnosis revealed a crack in the drain hose running from the port storage compartment to the connection at the aft inspection drain. Apparently some water got in there and froze over the winter. The way the water was trickling down and around the exhaust was enough to fool an experienced surveyer.
The moral of this story: Don't be so quick to blame the exhaust without doing a thorough inspection.
Owner of 28' TE
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

I called C&C Marine, the new Albin manufacturers & asked someone in sales to pull the vendor information from the current parts list -which may be different for my 2006 hull build. He said the parts from his list were from a vendor called Marine East http://www.marineeast.com and the part numbers for the elbow were 8120 & the flange was 8140.

Thsi looks about right for the elbow & description (5 in. 45 Degree Port):

I couldn't find the trim ring in the vendor site. I lost the leading & trailing bolt heads due to corrosion, but the others held. I am having all hardware replaced now & the elbow re-sealed to the hull. I discovered the problem after running the boat back down to the keys this past weekend & noticed a slightly larger roostertail at some bow trim angles. Thank God it wasn't any worse! I had the repairs done at a yard this week -just prior to a week of spring break down in the keys with the boat. Had the hull waxed too while it was hauled out :D. I thank God who kept me safe & my marina operator who squeezed me into their tight schedule! Pics of the vacation to follow!
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”