• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

new water heater

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

new water heater

Post by jprohan »

In looking at all the marine & RV water heaters out there; I came across the "Kuuma" brand. Sold by Defender and Hamilton Marine. Never heard of it, but about 1/2 price of Raritan. Anyone have any good/bad experience with this brand?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: new water heater

Post by DougSea »

jprohan wrote:In looking at all the marine & RV water heaters out there; I came across the "Kuuma" brand. Sold by Defender and Hamilton Marine. Never heard of it, but about 1/2 price of Raritan. Anyone have any good/bad experience with this brand?
Never heard of it but I've found that Defender's buyers have a knack for finding the "next" good company. I was there looking to buy a JVC TV and the talked me into a "Majestic" from Austrailia which I hadn't seen anywhere else and they said was vastly superiour. It was great.

I'd give Defender a call and get someone from the appropriate department on the phone, ask them about it.

Out of curriosity I went searching for the Kuuma brand - interesting story of an American family running a grill and water heater business out of California and Thailand. They have a blog: http://kuumaproducts.wordpress.com/2010 ... llo-world/

If I was in the market for a new heater I would certainly consider them.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

Post by jprohan »

OK OK. you guys are right. I sprung for the same Raritan 6 gal heater I took out. Didn't have to alter any plumbibg or hoses; and the old one lasted 20 years; I'll probably be using a walker by the time this one gives up the ghost. The new one has a nice ploymer (plastic) jacket instead of the metal...won't rust away like the old one.
Jim
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

jprohan wrote:OK OK. you guys are right. I sprung for the same Raritan 6 gal heater I took out. Didn't have to alter any plumbibg or hoses; and the old one lasted 20 years; I'll probably be using a walker by the time this one gives up the ghost. The new one has a nice ploymer (plastic) jacket instead of the metal...won't rust away like the old one.
Jim
We're proud of you Jim! We knew you'd do the right thing...
:lol:
Doug
Sonny IV
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

jprohan wrote:In looking at all the marine & RV water heaters out there; I came across the "Kuuma" brand. Sold by Defender and Hamilton Marine. Never heard of it, but about 1/2 price of Raritan. Anyone have any good/bad experience with this brand?
Thumbs up for Kuuma Products!!!

Sorry for the late response ... this got posted at the end of a ski week while transitioning from one ski house to another which had no internet.

Kuuma was formerly known as "Force 10". I made this discovery during lay-up last year as I was in need of replacing the original Force 10 water tank in my 28 or finding replacement parts. My search took me to a defunct site for Force 10 which re-directed me to Kuuma. Force 10 was originally run out of Canada along with having manufacturing there. They then transitioned to California and started making their tanks over seas (what else is new) as Kuuma Products and importing them to No. America. The new units are the same dimensions as the old and same parts, but with improved technology.

I contacted Kuuma and the receptionist put the owner on the phone who helped me trouble shoot the problem of no hot water while hooked to shore power with my multi meter. We determined the issue to be a bad high temp switch. I had thought it would be the heating element, but it was not. He was happy I tracked them down and offered to replace the 3 replaceable parts for no charge with the exception of $4.95 USPS shipping. 8) The thermostat, high temp switch & heating element were original and 8 years old at the time and he figured while I was crawling around and repairing the tank ... why not. The tank now works like a dream!

Again ... great company and a superb customer service experience.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

After a prior post I found Kuuma's blog or home page and what a joy it was to read how they started in Thailand and helped a lot of locals as they built their business there. Look for it. Not just a good company with a good product, but wonderful people !!
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Just to be clear and keep our poor old Canadian reputation, Force 10 is still in busines and it was Force 10 Marine that got busted up in 2006 by its American owners. The BBQ's and water Heaters of Force 10 Marine became Kuuma (and I was told they are made in Thaland). The Force 10 Marine heaters became Dickenson in Canada and the Force 10 Marine stoves went to France.
Force 10, still in business, makes propane and electric stoves in Surrey, BC (part of Greater Vancouver)
Last edited by bccanucker on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

bccanucker wrote:Just to be clear and keep our poor old Canadian reputation, Force 10 is still in busines and it was Force 10 Marine that got busted up in 2006 buy its American owners. The BBQ's and water Heaters of Force 10 Marine became Kuuma (and I was told they are made in Thaland). The Force 10 Marine heaters became Dickenson in Canada and the Force 10 Marine stoves went to France.
Force 10, still in business, makes propane and electric stoves in Surrey, BC (part of Greater Vancouver)
I was wondering about that this weekend as I looked over my Force 10 oven. I didn't recall anything about ovens in the story about Kuuma. Now I know why, eh! :)
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Albin Maintenance”