• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bottom paint for prop

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Bottom paint for prop

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote:As far as treating the prop ... I put my cash into diesel fuel and run the boat. :lol: Works great, maybe 1 or 2 barnacles per season and no other growth. $ 400 for prop speed is almost 1 tank of diesel in a 28!
Well said Kev.
And for $400 an open water scuba class and some used gear good enough to dive the boat bottom could be had as well. Comes in VERY handy during the course of the season..
I also get my wheel nice and clean in the muck in my creek at low low tide.. :(
A little growth on the nuts is about all she sees :shock:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

So has anyone anywhere ever tried the "Prop Armor" that Cape Codder mentioned above.
If it works like advertised, then it would be great. By the application video and instructions, it looks like nothing more than some kind of wax, and how long do you think that would last on a prop???
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

ScubaPete wrote:So has anyone anywhere ever tried the "Prop Armor" that Cape Codder mentioned above.
If it works like advertised, then it would be great. By the application video and instructions, it looks like nothing more than some kind of wax, and how long do you think that would last on a prop???
It certainly looks interesting. Seems that it's intended to make it difficult for fouling to attach to the prop, shaft, and such, as opposed to repeling the growth with a toxin. The warnings talk about it containing chilli oil as well, so as long as your little critters don't like Mexican I guess you're good.

I'm tempted to try it, looks easy to apply and is RELATIVELY cheap.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

And for $400 an open water scuba class and some used gear good enough to dive the boat bottom could be had as well.
And with a 50 ft regulator hose you can leave the tank on deck and make the task so much easier. :D
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

I used a spray on Petit product that contains a high % of zinc to coat the prop, rudder, and tabs. I figured that we attach Zn anodes to these metal parts, so if nothing else, there is some protection from galvanic action. Well, the prop blades were pretty free of crustaceans at haulout, but the trim tabs had no room for any more of the critters. The rudder was pretty clean. At about $20 for the can of paint, I think I could have done better. I may try some product that was suggested in this thread. Thought I would mention my experience with the Zn spray product.
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

I recently pulled both of my props for repitching. While they were nice and clean, I used Petit Barnacle Barrier spray paint on them. After about 300 miles, I can see where the paint is starting to wear off the working side of the props, but the hub area where I always had the heaviest buildup still looks nice and clean. We will see how this holds up as the water temperature warms up and those critters get busy fouling us up.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”