• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boating today

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Boating today

Post by Veebyes2 »

So...Who got onboard their boat today?

I got busy to do some cleaning for the first time since last March. The boat has been dry stored on my property since the fall of 06 while we spend the summers traveling the US & Canada.

First job was to clean a years worth of what must be mold off. I waxed the boat last March but it gets grungy just sitting there. I used the same cleaner as I use on the RV, a Mequires soap that comes in a pink bottle. They claim it does not break down wax like aggressive marine cleaners. It works well.

Underneath all that grunge the now 15 year old gelcoat looks good. Maybe the grunge protected it from the blazing summer sun.

Next step, another coat of wax & say bye bye to the boat for another six months at least.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Boating today

Post by jcollins »

I'm embarressed to say "not me". The weather is getting better but now most of my time is spent cleaning up the yard or doing projects around the house. I'm hoping this coming weekend I'll make it to the boat, remove the shrink wrap, and check things out.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jcollins wrote:I'm embarressed to say "not me". The weather is getting better but now most of my time is spent cleaning up the yard or doing projects around the house. I'm hoping this coming weekend I'll make it to the boat, remove the shrink wrap, and check things out.
Despite my wife's hopes that I'd emulate John -

I spent several hours on the new boat, checking out the progress on the generator install and starting the job of compounding the hull. I'm very pleased with the quality of the install work, I think it would even meet RobS's standards! :) Of course I'll post pictures of that soon.

The compounding is going well but man, I need to get to the gym! Did the transom for a second time (removing the old name) and the port side and then my arms said "No more!", so the starboard compunding and then overall waxing will need to wait for another day.

Off to Vermont next weekend, my daughter's travel hockey team is in the New England regionals so I'll be up by Burlington. Hoping to get a little bit of time to get down to the lake and check things out.

Doug (Veebyes) - when's she going to go back in the water? I'm guessing from your post that you'll be land-sailing across the country again this summer. We need some updated pics of the waters of Bermuda!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

We went to Beaufort (NC) on Saturday and found ourselves surrounded by dolphins en route!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

Love the dolphin! We don't get the bottlenose this far north but often see the white sided dolphin. Legacy will be uncovered this weekend, systems prepped too, hull and bottom painted (hopefully) second week in April while I'm in the UK. Then boating season is truly open! First stripers by tax day. Tuna in May. Eternal optimist!
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Glad to know, Doug, that even you young guys wear out ! Trying to dress A-List up for the rendezvous and may not make it all the way...the gunnels are the worst, on the knees bent over! Got to rethink this. And contribute to the economy. Compounding sucks...
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:The compounding is going well but man, I need to get to the gym! Did the transom for a second time (removing the old name) and the port side and then my arms said "No more!", so the starboard compunding and then overall waxing will need to wait for another day.
Doug, you're doing it wrong! click here....... http://www.bikiniboatworks.com/beforeafter.html
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote:
DougSea wrote:The compounding is going well but man, I need to get to the gym! Did the transom for a second time (removing the old name) and the port side and then my arms said "No more!", so the starboard compunding and then overall waxing will need to wait for another day.
Doug, you're doing it wrong! click here....... http://www.bikiniboatworks.com/beforeafter.html
Rob, Glad to see you still have these girls on staff :shock:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Pitou wrote:
RobS wrote:
Rob, Glad to see you still have these girls on staff :shock:
Umm, Kevin, you might want to reword that, Rob has a lovely wife... :lol:

I wonder if they have a CT franchise...I'm sure Kat wouldn't mind, she wants the boat to be very clean. "Hey hon, just going down to check on the crew." "Yes, I need to bring a few bottles of wine, why do you ask?" "No, I didn't change into nicer clothes, just threw this on..."
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Well you don't see me in any of those pics, they were supposed to do the OTHER blue Albin :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “General Discussion”