• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tsunami

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Tsunami

Post by jcollins »

We have a few members in Japan. I cannot provide any information more than what we are all seeing on the news and Internet. Our thoughts are with you during this tragic time.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Tsunami

Post by Carl »

Also the west coast members who might have also been effected by the tsunami. Hope everyone is OK.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Seattle (Elliott Bay) was reported to have had a 6" surge yesterday afternoon but I saw no evidence of damage at the Shilshole Bay Marina floats. Our boat is 25 miles closer to the Juan de Fuca entrance, up at Everett in the Snohomish River mouth, and I'm curious to see how that area did. No panicky phone calls from the Port of Everett or from my pier-mate yet. The videos of Depoe Bay and Crescent City were pretty amazing but they're both right on the Pacific Ocean, which Seattle and Everett are not. I also heard about a warning for Northern San Francisco Bay area and the Sacramento River delta but have not seen any actual reports from there.
Last edited by joe.baar on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Rx-scape
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bodega Bay, CA

Post by Rx-scape »

Bodega Bay, Ca had no damage, It was low tide and the bay was mostly empty from low tide, first the water goes out the boat basin is deeper than the channel so not all the water could go out, we were still floating the tsunami came back in and filled the bay in about 20 minutes currents were impressive but no higher than a normal high tide, the next waves came and went the bay drained and filled in about 20 minutes no big waves but very strong currents, not sure how the sandbars were rearranged.

Rx-scape Lee
pkdiver
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Brookings, Oregon

Post by pkdiver »

We had major damage in the Brookings, Oregon harbor. The commercial basin was almost completely wiped out and the sport basin had dock A taken out along with part of dock B. I dock my Albin on C dock and this dock escaped any damage. I also was lucky in that I have been a little later than usual in getting my boat in the water this year and it is still under cover on dry land. Several boats were pulled loose from their moorings and drifted out to sea and crashed on the rocks or sunk out there. One was a Grand Banks that had been for sale for a couple of year for $450,000. It sunk and I hope that the owner had it insured. Lots of diesel was spilled in the bay and portions of the concrete docks were seen floting out to sea or were buried in the side of boats. No Albins were in the water at the time.
There are several videos on You Tube showing what went on. Just look up Brookings Harbor Tsunami and you should be able to find them.
Crescent City in Northern California had all of their docks torn out nd lots of damage. We went to both places yesterday and saw the damage. I will post some pictures of it tomorrow. Quite a nightmare to see and I can only imaging how it must look like in Japan as our damage pales in comparison to what they have experienced.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Tsunami Crescent City, Ca & Brookings, Or

Post by whwells »

Was up to Port of Crescent City, Ca & Port of Brookings, Oregon yesterday. Sadly, the Tsunami "destroyed" the Crescent City Port. This is a harbor of perhaps 150 Commercial fishermen and crabbers. It was reported that 35 vessels went down in the harbor. Their were no slips or docks remaining except junk along the sides.
It appeared maybe 15 damaged or partially damages boats were still in the harbor. Most of the fleet had moved out either to Port of Euk. Ca or some perhaps north to Coos Bay, Or. The town will be hit very had by this loss. It is the worse since the Famous 1964 Tsunami out of Alaska. We feel for the fisherman because most commercials have no hull coverages, and will be left with mostly their fishing permits.

Port of Brookings, Oregon faired better but has serious damages as well both on the sport & commercials docks.
The sport docks are partially across the Chetco River and thus took the force of the seas as they came in the harbor. Docks A were totally destroyed and it was reported 3 of the boats were swept out to sea. Their current status is unknown. One liveaboard who did not leave the dock was lost. Really don't know what happened to all the boats on A Dock although some were being trailered on Sat. Some were tied up severely damaged and others would have sunk. Dock B did better but looked like a broken snake. The boats were okay as far as we know. There is a 28' Albin on that dock, but it was not there on Sat. and may have been pulled.

My 290 Luhrs was on Dock C. We sustained only minor damages to C docks as they were protected by A & B docks. We have two 28' Albins on the C docks but they were not yet back in the water for the season.
Ms Pearl my 290 sustained no damages at all.

I am still try to upgrade to 28 or 31 Albin and thankfully still have sometime to trade or sell for that purpose. We are all really sad for those who lost so much. Did not hear there was damages to any Albin at either of the Ports. The commercial side was ugly looking wih boats tangled and damaged. Good new is many survived the assault.

Hope to be reporting ownership of an Albin this year sometime. I suspect Marine Ins. costs will increase in these habors after the huge damages. whwells
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tsunami: Trinidad Harbor & Port of Euk, Ca

Post by whwells »

Forgot to mention that we were all lucky here in Humbolt County, Ca which includes the Harbor of Trinidad where we live and nearby 20 miles to the south the large Port of Euk, Ca. Friends in Euk. said the waters were up 6"-12" or less but no damages to either the City of Euk Port Harbor or Woodley Island Harbor both of which are in several miles from the gettys and ocean.

I was away in Tahoe at the time of the Tsunami activity locally. However, my wife was watching out of the window to the ocean and said the waters went out and came back in a half dozen times exposing rocks we have never seen out as far as a 1/4 mile as the water pulled back and then returned.

It was a rare sight with the ocean moving away from the shore at Trinidad way out into the ocean. whwells
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

It seems incredible to me how waves can travel across 3000 miles of ocean and cause such damage. Our best wishes and hope for a fast recovery are with all the mariners affected.
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

San Francisco Bay did OK. My harbor master reports that the water level went up about 52 inches in about 1 hr., other than that I did not here of any reports of damage in the main bay. Santa Cruz harbor which has direct ocean access was a totally different story, at least 17 Million in damage is what I here. Simply amazing and scary.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

PORT ORFORD, OREGON DAMAGES: This a small fishing port North of Brookings, Or. It has some very unsual lifts that pull the commercial boats out an onto cradles on wheels that are then towed to RV type spots where the owner stays or keeps the boat until it is back in the water. This area has small cove protectiion.

Was told yesterday that around to the north side of the town there are typical boats slips facing directly to the ocean.
Funny all the times I have been there and admired the commercial set up/ well other than each boat must have it's on harness attached and ready to pull the boat at the lifts.

In any event a friend in Euk. yesterday said that the northern slips were wiped out as they face the ocean. Surprise to me. Anyone know anything about slips and docks in Port Orford, Or and the reported damages?
Have not heard a word about this in the local papers, but then Crescent City with the most boats and damages have taken the headliines.

whwells
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

UPDATE ON PORT ORFORD. Was up to Brookings again yesterday to check my boat. Talked to one of the local port officials. He tells me FEMA is going to help with funds to redo Brookings. He also said there are no northern docks / thus no slips or docks at Port Offord. They had no signficant damages so my previous information was incorrect. I suspect that the person who reported damages was talking about Brookings and did not realize the different location of the two Ports. Well, good news no more damages than all ready reported.

Return to “General Discussion”