• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

'Teleflex' Traditional Tilt Helm

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

lawrento
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

'Teleflex' Traditional Tilt Helm

Post by lawrento »

Hello AlbinOwners,
Wish to learn from Your experiences ....
My Albin 31TE Steering wheel feels wobbly, on inspection ... find out there's a 5mm free play between the steering wheel and the Traditional tilt helm. Guess the main shaft have worn ... or what goes wrong ?
Just curious, have any one replace the Traditional Tilt helm by 'Teleflex' ? Incidentally a search thru the web, show that it have been replace by Classic Tilt Helm. Any issue when installing ?
Thanks,
Lawrento
Best Bet 3
Albin 31TE
R S Y C
Get Aweigh

Re: 'Teleflex' Traditional Tilt Helm

Post by Get Aweigh »

Hi Lawrento,

I have the same problem with my tilt steering. I found the two bolts that tighten the coupling between the tilt steeering shaft and the dash mounted hydraulic unit shaft had come loose. Tightening those bolts made a big difference. Another unresolved problem is the shaft bushing just under the steering wheel. That has worn and allows loose play in the wheel. I contacted Teleflex to obtain parts and was told they are no longer available. If I can't find an old unit at a salvage yard, I will reluctantly buy a new one. What really helps is mounting a "speed knob" on the wheel to help maneuvering. Have you tried any salvage yards, or know of any?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: 'Teleflex' Traditional Tilt Helm

Post by jleonard »

Another unresolved problem is the shaft bushing just under the steering wheel. That has worn and allows loose play in the wheel
Seems to me that you could make a replacement bushing. You could likely buy something standard and get it machined to fit if necessary. If it's the shaft taper that concerns you that is a "standard" that a machine shop could easily make.

I'm trying to visualize that steering unit. I remember quoting it several years ago when I worked as a design engineer at a steering systems company. We didn't get the job, didn't even get far enough to make protoypes (or I'd have one, LOL).
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”