• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shower sump cleaner

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shower sump cleaner

Post by Halcyon »

Hi, does anyone out there have a good way of disolving soap scum etc from the shower sump? Mine is working intermittantly and I am hopeing a flush will be the remedy. I'm not sure what to use that will break down what I imagine is soap scum that has resolidified. I don't want to have to pull it out as it is quite inaccessable. Thanks TD
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Re: Shower sump cleaner

Post by JackK »

After a couple of years of ignoring the shower sump, the pump stuck on one day. It was disgusting in there. I took the cover off the sump and removed the strainer bar. I used soft scrub with bleach and brought in the hose with a nozzle on it. After several attempts, most everything came out. The pressure of the hose did most of the work but the soft scrub took care of the gunk that was really stuck on.

I now rinse it out whenever I think of it ... about every 4 to 6 weeks during the season.

Hope this helps,
Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Full strength or diluted white vinegar cleans lots of stuff on a boat.
Cheap, and won't damage or be corrosive like chlorine bleach.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
pcthornton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pcthornton »

One thing that would help is to NEVER use Bar Soap. This goes for your home showers as well. Bar soap has something in it that leaves scum. Use liquid body wash and you won't have the clogging problem in the boat's shower sump and you won't have dull soap scum in your tubs and showers at home.
ColinT
"Patriot"
2002 28TE
Barrington, RI
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

We've always used Ivory Soap. But, if it will help with making soap scum go away and the sump to work better, we'll use a body wash. What's out there that is environmentally safe?
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

We've always used Ivory Soap. But, if it will help with making soap scum go away and the sump to work better, we'll use a body wash. What's out there that is environmentally safe?
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “General Discussion”