• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Why do teak decks leak?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Why do teak decks leak?

Post by DougSea »

Hi all,

I've been reading a number of threads in the classics sections about leaking teak decks and I keep wondering...

Why do they leak?

As someone who has never owned a boat with teak decks I'm more than a bit confused. Isn't the teak just a surface layer on top of a sealed fiberglass deck? At least in a "modern vintage" vessel? While I can understand how water could get below the teak and need to be drained from the deck I keep wondering how it infiltrates the boat interior.

Contemplating this as I prepare for a leaking roof claim at the house. What a storm last night! :roll:
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Why do teak decks leak?

Post by jleonard »

What happens is two main things.
One.... the plugs either come out or get sanded/worn down in thickness and pop out or crack. This allow water to enter the screw cavity and then it wicks into the cored fiberglass deck.
Two...the caulking between the teak planks opens up due to many years of expansion and contraction. Then some water stays in over the winter and opens it up a little more when it freezes. Water then finds the screw cavity and wicks into the core.

Horizontal decks are made using "sandwhich construction" which is a plywood or balsa core sandwhiched bbetween two thin fiberglass layers. One water gets into the core it can't get out and eventually rots the wood. Add the freeze/thaw cycling and it will actually delaminate when it gets bad enough. The freeze thaw also opens up tiny cracks or seeps thru corner /edge joints and can get into the interior.

I have a power point of the work I did on my old Mainship flybridge deck that shows how deck are constructed. Send me an e mail to jleonard@usa.norgren.com and I can send you the file. Same problem except no teak. One pic shows me squeezing the water out of the core...like a sponge.

Some/many companies use a foam core today so the WHEN water gets in it does not rot the core material. Yes it only a matter of when the water gets in. And it always gets in. Esp if the boat has a nice railing or stanchion that a "dock helper" can grab and attempt to pull the boat into the slip against a 20 knot wind. That loosens screws every time and starts the process.

OR as in my Mainship's case, the dealer assembles the flybridge after the boat is trucked in and "forgets" to use caulk for the seat mounting screws...oh yes. I don't think any of the Mainship dealers were allowed to say the word caulk. (oops sorry I digress)
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Thanks Jay - I guess I was thinking the decks were more like a floating floor or were glued down. Lots of screws penetrating the deck? Leaks for sure!
Doug
Sonny IV
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

And in the case of lots of Taiwanese boats (as reported in an old Passagemaker Magazine) one guy drilled the screw hole and the screw guy came along and put most of the screws in his pocket and took them home to sell them. Water leaks through as Jay said, drops down on top of the steel fuel tanks, rusts them out and some drops down and gets into the stringers and rots them out from the inside.
Thus armed with all this knowledge when one goes shopping for one of these older trawlers you look hard hoping to find the one where this has been fixed.
I would love to know from anyone who has removed a teak deck whether they found that screws were missing.
Based on years of experiance with this and other leaky things our pre purchase surveyor tried his darnedest to have us not buy the boat even though the decks had been done.
That's the big reason we invested in a full winter cover.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

bccanucker wrote:And in the case of lots of Taiwanese boats (as reported in an old Passagemaker Magazine) one guy drilled the screw hole and the screw guy came along and put most of the screws in his pocket and took them home to sell them. Water leaks through as Jay said, drops down on top of the steel fuel tanks, rusts them out and some drops down and gets into the stringers and rots them out from the inside....
So both a "floating floor" AND holes! Yikes!

You guys are braver than me! :shock:
Doug
Sonny IV
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

You guys are braver than me
The surveyor that did my boat was not very competent overall...however he DID know wood and that's what I really needed. The decks were all sound and dry Otherwise I may have kept looking. I looked at several boats prior and they all had deck issues.
One thing we DON"T do is scrub the teak with a brush. That wears the teak down, and rather quickly I might add, then the screw bungs pop out and it's all over.
I do have a few screws that are not deep enough for a bung. Some of them I have drilled deeper and re-bunged. Some can't be drilled deeper so they have epoxy over them.
Hopefully I can keep ahaead of it for a few more years.....however my next boat, if there is one, will be teak free. :D
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

I have a 40 Sundeck trawler with teak on top, on the decks and herring boned up at the pointy end. It all needs to be re calked,and I have all of the issues that everyone has been discussing. My daughter Rose and I took home the front hatch and tried reefing out the calk with an official reefing hook on the work bench all nice and at a good work hight.. It was slow and tedius. We ordered the Fein tool with reefer tool and went down to Aquarius in Oceanport to try it out. It works well. There has been a lot of disscusion on the Albin site about dingies and davids. Screw that, does anyone have a favorite brand of knee pads? :lol: I had Lockwood marine meet us to give me a price to have it done. No word yet, so I guess that we will do it ourselves. Good luck to those other poor saps with teak decks, I knew better abd bought a teaky leaky drooler anyhow... Jay AKA Mudskipper
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Jay: What a great idea about the kneepads!!! You thought of it, you should get the honour of starting the thread. My bionic knees will thank you. :evil:
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I have used knee pads but the elastic on the back side bothers me.
So instead I use that dark grey foam stuff that comes in squares intended for floors. I cut a piece in half and kneel on that. Cut in half they also store easily. I use them at home and on the boat.
I also lined my engine compartment floor with that stuff. :D

(In MY opinion a hot knife and scraper is easier and faster than a Fein type tool.)
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “General Discussion”