• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

battery splitter

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jprohan
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay Shore, NY

battery splitter

Post by jprohan »

I have an inverter/charger on my (Xantex either 1500 or 2000 watt). I have always assumed that it is a "smart" charger; charging my two (in series) 6 volt house batteries; as well as my backup starting battery. Now I am wondering if this is correct; or do I need a splitter. Any advice from electrical guys would be appreciated.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: battery splitter

Post by DougSea »

How many charging (red) leads come off of the charger? If it's like mine there's just one big one that runs to a battery switch. In this case the charger does NOT feed each battery what it needs but instead treats all of your batteries as one bank. Of course this is what the inverter mode needs - lots of amp-hours.

Using something like Bluesea's ACR you could set it up so that the charging mode charges both batteries but the inverter only draws from the house bank...a better solution all around. Check out their website for some good diagrams.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jprohan »

Thanks Doug: I'm assuming that the device you mentioned would allow each bank to be charged as needed, without overcharging the other?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

jprohan wrote:Thanks Doug: I'm assuming that the device you mentioned would allow each bank to be charged as needed, without overcharging the other?
Unfortunately...no.

What it will do is ensure your batteries are charged and that when one bank, such as your house, is discharged it will not pull from your starting battery. In rereading your post you don't talk about this being an issue, although if you're not switching off the starting battery it will be.

I'm not certain that it's possible to do what you want without replacing the Charger/Inverter with seperate units, or adding a charger JUST for your staring batteries and keeping the Charger/Inverter completely isolated from it. I'm still searching though! I know from the alternator and regulator side of the house that Balmar makes an intelligent regulator that will charge your starting battery first and then your house bank, while managing the charge on each battery, but that's not the exact application here.
Doug
Sonny IV
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Ok, just a bit more looking around and we have the Xantrex "Echo Charge" - http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/p ... arger.aspx

Designed to do exactly what you want - use the Inverter/Charger to maintain your House bank AND keep your second starting battery fully charged. Looks very simple to install.

There's also a somewhat fancier - and more expensive - option from Balmar:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=185734
Last edited by DougSea on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Sonny IV
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Look and see if your Xantrex has an "echo Charger" terminal. If it does this is for charging a second battery bank.
If it doesn't have the echo charger, Xantrex sell a digital echo charger (around $100.) that will charge the second bank.
The Xantrex is a smart charger and either which way will not overcharge your batteries.
What is the model # of your Xantrex?
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I beleive the echo charger is a "following charger". I think it charges only when the house bank is charging. I just went through this with reading my Xantrex manual. I could be wrong, but thats how I think it works. It is a seperate charging circuit that will not overcharge your start battery, but only works based on the house bank.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bccanucker »

Carl: Are you talking about the digital echo charger (separate Box) or the echo charger on the inverter/charger?
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Carl wrote:I beleive the echo charger is a "following charger". I think it charges only when the house bank is charging. I just went through this with reading my Xantrex manual. I could be wrong, but thats how I think it works. It is a seperate charging circuit that will not overcharge your start battery, but only works based on the house bank.
Yes, I think you're correct Carl, but some additional points...

The inverter/charger is after all the charger that kicks in only when on shorepower or generator. In a typical real world situation, if you started your engine, thereby slightly discharging your start battery, the engine mounted alternator would then begin charging this battery, most likely to full charge by the time you shutdown. So the real purpose of this "echo charger" system is to 1 - charge the house bank, and then 2 - make sure the start battery is "topped off". At least that's how I read it.
Doug
Sonny IV
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I am talking about the inverter/charger echo charger. The older Xantrex models had this feature called the echo charger. If you look at the new models they no longer have this feature. You now have to buy the box. I am refering to their "freedom line".
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jprohan »

I appreciate all the input; this weekend I plan to unwrap my 32 and dig out my xantrex manual and try to educate myself a little better. But i certainly get educated reading posts on AOG.
Jim
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Hi Jim,

Here's a bit more info on the Duo Charge: http://www.balmar.net/duo-charge.html

It looks to be the closest match to your needs as described in your original post.

I'm going down next week to try and understand the combination of charger, alternators, batteries and battery switches (4!) in the new boat. Always an adventure! :)

I'm hoping for a cruise down your way sometime soon. Spent my earliest boating years just to your west in Amityville but haven't been there in a LONG time! Thinking it's time to circumnavigate Long Island.
Doug
Sonny IV
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jprohan »

Hey Doug: if you do maybe we can get together? Not sure how familiar you are with the eastern south shore. The Great South Bay by me is fine; Moriches is pretty tricky; but certainly doable. A good place to clean your props.
Jim
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bccanucker »

Jim: I'm not really familiar with the 32 Albin Sportfish (being and old trawler owner) but when I looked on the web it seemed to be a twin engine. Is that correct?
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
jprohan
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jprohan »

Roy: the 32 originally debuted with a single 250 (?) Cummins, but was only about a 12 kt boat. Then they put in a 300 and it became a 16-17 kt cruise. People wanted twins, so they tried that; but the problem was the twins took up the whole aft cabin; while with a single the engine is under the deck with a V drive configuration. Mine is an 89; I think that was the first year they made it; I currently am running a 330 Cummins which gives me a 16 kt cruise at app. 8 GPH. I have been from NY to FL and 4 bahama trips; then back to NY. It is a great cruising boat; roomy, fast enough, and fairly economical. But the twin configuration, in my opinion, ruined some of the better features of the boat.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”