• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New England Trip Planning

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

New England Trip Planning

Post by mudskipper »

I'm considering a trip from Sandy Hook, NJ to Rockland, ME this summer. It will be my first expedition with my new boat (40' Albin Trawler). Best/average traveling speed will be 10-12 knots. I would appreciate any information anyone can offer:

1. About how long will this take traveling about 6 hrs/day? It seems to be in the 5-7 day range. Is that realistic?

2. What guides or resources have you found most useful for planning purposes?

-Jay (Mudskipper) on Aquarius - Oceanport, NJ
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: New England Trip Planning

Post by jleonard »

I forget exactly what boat you have, but I thought it is an old 40 with Lehman 120 or 135. If that's the case I don't think 10 - 12 knots is doable.
More like 7.5 to 8 knots. I cruise at 7 normally with a single FL 120.

For planning I like the Embassy guide for that area.
Day 1 would get you thru NYC and to about Manhasset Bay. Decent anchorage down in the lower left corner of the bay (I don't do marinas). IF you caught the currents right you "might" make Oyster Bay and there are plenty of anchorage spots there.
Day 2 can get you to Mystic or Watch Hill, RI. I made that length on my delivery trip. It will be a long day though. Not much for anchorages in Mystic area, but you can gral a mooring fairly cheap at Nyman's (Formerly Harig's/Ford's Lobsters), or anchor or mooring in West Harbor of Fisher's Island (They probably won't come out and get your money..local secret).
You can break it up with a shorter day by checking out Mattituck Inlet, nice anchorage basin at the end.

Regardless, I am very familiar with the LI Sound area and the various anchorages so feel free to use me as a resource. And let me know when you are making the trek, perhaps we can hook up someplace.

Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
normntwrk
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Great Bay Marina Portsmouth NH

Post by normntwrk »

That should be a very enjoyable cruise. We have stopped in Rockland Me several times and enjoyed it very much. I'd encourage you to go a little further "Down East" and enjoy Camden Harbor, it is probably one of my favorite harbors. Across the Bay is Pulpit Harbor (pic attached), also a must stop if you find the time. We have cruised Me for several years and have enjoyed it every time (summers just aren't long enough and work gets in the way :)

A few places to stop overnight on the trip:
Duck Island off Westport CT, you can anchor, very good holding
Onset Ma beautiful harbor just before Cape Cod canal
Either Glochester Ma or up at the North end of the Anisquam river
Isl of Shoals if no weather out of the NW or W
Our boat is in Great bay , Dover Point (Portsmouth) but it cna take 1 1/2 to get up the river against the current
York harbor Me, very pretty but currents are very strong there when the tide is changing
We stay overnight at Bidderford Me on almost every trip to Me
BoothBay ME, very nice
Port Clyde ME , good stopover

Currents: Look at the tide charts for Long Island sound, you can really make some time with the tide and NOT if going against it
Ditto with the Cape Cod canal, very strong there if you are going against it

https://picasaweb.google.com/ntfredrick/BoatTrip# From Glen Cove NY to Portsmouth NH
https://picasaweb.google.com/ntfredrick/2009Vacation# From Portsmouth to Portland ME , stopover in York ME and Bidderford

Norm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I do have the135 lehmans. Two of em, so Thats why I figured 10 kts. :roll: By the way what is this tipping dockhands thingie I saw mentioned in another post? when and how much ? fuel dock too? :roll: :roll:
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I do have the135 lehmans. Two of em, so Thats why I figured 10 kts.
I seriously doubt you can make 10 knots (without the current's help). 8 or maybe 8.5.
I would plan using 8 and be happy if you get a bonus.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

mudskipper wrote:...By the way what is this tipping dockhands thingie I saw mentioned in another post? when and how much ? fuel dock too? :roll: :roll:
I usually hand over a $5 for "basic" help at a Marina. If the dockhand goes above and beyond I'll give more. Last fall at Champlin's on Block Island the dockhand spent 15 minutes getting all my lines and fenders squared away while I, exhausted from a rough crossing from Montauk, "supervised" with adult beverage in hand. He earned a 20.

I'll usually give the help at the fuel dock a $5 so long as they helped me land, neatly present the fuel hose and ask if I have any needs. I give it to them when they come to assist with my departure.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
nan1rik1
First Mate
First Mate

Post by nan1rik1 »

Across from Oyster bay, on the Ct. side are the Norwalk Islands, lots of good anchorages and hidey holes there. Just look out for sandbars and try not to transverse betwen the islandes, better off going around them. A nice and often used anchorage just inside of Sheffield lighthouse, part of the Norwalk islands.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

nan1rik1 wrote:Across from Oyster bay, on the Ct. side are the Norwalk Islands, lots of good anchorages and hidey holes there. Just look out for sandbars and try not to transverse betwen the islandes, better off going around them. A nice and often used anchorage just inside of Sheffield lighthouse, part of the Norwalk islands.
My "home". Any questions I'd be happy to fill you in. Nan1Rick1 - where are you guys? I'm out of Norwalk Cove Marina and Sprite Island.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “General Discussion”