• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lehman Oil Capacity

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

MerrySea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda, Fl

Lehman Oil Capacity

Post by MerrySea »

I am changing all of the liquids on my newly purchased Albin with Lehmans SP135's. I was suprised when I only removed 12 quarts of oil from each of the engine crank cases. The dip stick has a mark on it that I interpreted to read "full". Since the manual indicates that the engine needs 20 quarts I am confused as to the actual amount. Can anyone tell me if they had a simialr experience and confirm that the engine requires 20 quarts?
Gary A. Anderson
40' 1987 Albin Palm Beach
Merry Sea II
Punta Gorda, FL
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Lehman Oil Capacity

Post by jcollins »

Good morning and Welcome to AOG,
I do not own one of these engines but found that the manual we have posted here states 14.6 quarts for the Super 135. Would that be your engine?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
MerrySea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MerrySea »

The Super 135 is is my engine. My documentation list 20.6 quarts. The 14.6 quarts sound more reasonable. I asked a mechanic and he thought the pans should hold more that 12 quarts, but he was unsure of the actual number.

I appreciate the response and I am going to only add another 2 quarts unless some else with the actual engines has a better number.

Thanks.
Gary A. Anderson
Merry Sea II
Punta Gorda, FL
myalexander
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, Fl.

Post by myalexander »

As the former owner of 3 Lehman engines and friend of Bob Smith's, I can feel comfortable advising you that the books and the dip sticks refer to flat angle of installation. When you angle the engine as in a marine installation it is VERY important that you ignore the factory marks on the dip stick and ignore the capacity of the oil pan. Put the correct # of quarts in the engine and re-mark the dipstick with a file. To verify the true # of quarts to use I suggest that you call (and keep the # handy) American Diesel of Kilmarnock, Va. Ask for Brian (Bob's son) and give him your engine model #. These guys are great resources to all Lehman owners and the tech advice is free and unlimited in high quality. Good luck Bob P.S. It is NOT good to overfill these engines so getting good info first might save you problems down the road.
Daryl
Mate
Mate

Post by Daryl »

My 1980 Albin 33 has a 135 Lehman (Watermota) and holds 14 quarts including the filter and oil cooler
MerrySea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MerrySea »

Thanks for the information. I am using 14 quarts and all is well. I don't think the pan would hold 19.5 quarts as the manual states.
Gary A. Anderson
Merry Sea II
Punta Gorda, FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”